What can iNaturalist do to better support people of color?

Thank you Rupert - I came here to say the very same thing.

I will reiterate this point: statements of support for Black Lives Matter without accompanying measurable goals are empty PR and hollow promises meant to only make white people feel good. They reflect poorly on any organization issuing them.

My next question was what Black people in the scientific community did iNaturalist consult before releasing their statement.

Also, the iNat team can correct me, but it’s my understanding is that iNaturalist is not a separate legal entity under CAS but they are literally employees of the California Academy of Science, not employees of iNaturalist. As such, their actions are interlinked.

I have a few minor ideas on concrete steps iNaturalist could take to amplify Black voices on a regular basis (and not just February), but beyond that, it really is up to management at iNat to reach out, engage Black scientists and use those conversations as a starting point for change.

PS. Everyone - please stop using “people of color” - it erases Black people’s identities and is a crutch for white people who are unable to say the words “Black people”.

3 Likes