What can iNaturalist do to better support people of color?

The suggestion I made in the previous post was for some sort of toolkit that can be implemented offline that could be used by a school, community organisation, volunteer or Elder to coordinate something like a Bioblitz using cameras and then have the observations uploaded at once later; either at a suite of desktop computers in a library / school or perhaps by a designated individual.

Printable handouts / posters, a downloadable powerpoint presentation, a teachers’ guide etc showing how iNat works, with less emphasis on the mobile app and computer vision and more on the browser version and the overall function of the site and its connectivity to other users and institutions. If geared towards Indigenous participants, iNat could be promoted as a conservation tool to create biodiversity records in the face of land development and climate change, a teaching tool for rangers, or to promote ecotourism initiatives on their part.

Edit: I’d like to add… and I’m probably stepping way out of my comfort zone here as I am less familiar with Black communities in a US context so correct me if I’m wrong, but the Black percentage of the population tends to be higher in densely urban areas, and lower in the older ‘leafier’ neighbourhoods or peri-urban fringe. While many observations can be made in one’s backyard, a portable ‘toolkit’ as described above could be used on a school excursion or community day.

Psst - can we also get iNaturalist shirts in other colours like bright blue or safety orange? It is a good way to explain to people what you are doing, but white is hard for a naturalist to keep stain-free and black well…sadly 1) its not good contrast on a dark skinned person at night near traffic, 2) there is a section of the population that acts irrationally when dark-skinned, dark-clothed people with a camera take an unnatural interest in a pavement weed or bug on their fence at night.

14 Likes