What can iNaturalist do to better support people of color?

Thanks to those who are speaking up for our right to express our views. I have a screenshot of the message that was removed. It included a very concrete tech/engineering suggestion that would help promote greater diversity. I’m happy to share the entire message if people are interested.

Look, we’re based in Australia. One of the biggest issues here is that First Nations science is not given the recognition it deserves.

Someone said above that iNat should engage more indigenous people. But First Nations science already exists in Australia and in many other countries. There are wonderful indigenous rangers programs here in Queensland; wonderful tech initiatives happening all across the country.

We work directly with these groups every day. The problem is NOT that these groups don’t have access to iNat. The problem is that CAS/NatGeo/iNat and many others struggle to design systems that treat indigenous science as science. (Again, you’re welcome to read my articles about these sorts of issues here https://medium.com/questanotes . I’ve been studying and writing about digital colonialism for decades; my wife is a PhD in Citizen Science and Computer Systems, and work as one).

Any effort to create new systems that are more inclusive - exactly what we’ve been trying to do Whaichi - is met with resistance from the iNat community because it doesn’t conform to some group-agreed idea of how things are supposed to be done (these ideas usually spring from Silicon Valley). Any behaviour that’s outside the norm is shouted down.

Let me ask you - when iNaturalist began expanding into Australia, was there any discussion about the impact it might have on indigenous science - or on existing local citizen science programs working in biodiversity monitoring. Can you show me one thread about it? Just one?

If iNaturalist is serious in its question - “How can iNaturalist do better to support people of colour” - it must FIRST allow for alternative thinking.

Unfortunately, our experience in trying to raise alternative views to iNaturalist has been met - as demonstrated here - with resistance and animosity (and even, as you can see, vilification). The idea that it’s okay to comment on our comment, without allowing people to read the comment is exactly the sort of closed-mindedness that silences new voices.

Please have the courage to listen to hard truths.

4 Likes