What is/are your favourite extinct animal(s)?

Many creationists are scientists. I won’t debate this publically as people get very emotional. I am well-studied in this topic so can provide examples privately if you desire.

Honestly, I don’t desire.

TBH If you’re going to post creationist fiction publicly, you should expect to discuss it publicly.

7 Likes

I’m thankful we don’t, if they actually could breathe fire! As far as I know, no one is saying they definitely did, only that the possibility could exist based on anatomy and the Bible. Either way, I’d prefer Carolina Parakeets.

1 Like

Exactly, thank you

1 Like

I’m not sure about my favourite animal, but i would love to see Hyracotherium, such a small horse’s ancestor would be very intriguing to observe.

1 Like

Good idea. The only thing I am going to say on the matter is that the Cambrian explosion is certainly intriguing, and that everyone has biases which prevent them from thinking along certain lines.

2 Likes

I get very emotional thinking about el oso plateado, the Mexican bear with fur described to be silver.

4 Likes

I counter it with Prolagus sardus, the insular not-so-giant pika from Corsica-Sardinia.

Prolagus sardus (inaturalist.org)

(Driven to extinction by agriculture at some point during the Middle Ages. Missed it by a few centuries only, dammit.)

2 Likes

Paleo is what initially got me hooked on biology and environmental science. Specifically Allosaurus jimmadseni.

I watched The Ballad of Big Al as a young child and realized I had to know how these scientists figured out so much information about an animal that died 155 million years ago. They are also one of the most common dinosaurs so there’s a wealth of knowledge on their lives and habitat.
Sauropods, one of the more abundant groups in the Morrison Formation where Allosaurus is found is another favorite of mine

They are just so fantastically large and pushing the limits of life on land. The anatomy required to reach those sizes is amazing.
For a non-dinosaur, Tiktaalik roseae is another favorite of mine.

The Devonian is such a fascinating time in our evolutionary history and Tiktaalik’s announcement at ANSP was one of the first things I was allowed to go on my own as a child. I thought I was so cool and mature, something my classmates didn’t necessarily agree with.

I can literally talk about this for days, so I’ll cut myself off at three favorites for now.

1 Like

For me it’s definitely an Aurochs, being an ice age animal that ALMOST made it into modern times. I also find the story of the woolly mammoths that survived on Wrangel Island until 4,000 years ago fascinating.

1 Like

Have to be thankful for that 2% of my DNA from Homo neanderthalensis

2 Likes

I’m being a little pedantic, but according to Wikipedia (and, more credibly, this article,) it seems like P. sardus went extinct in Roman times, before the Middle Ages. The paper is about 3 decades old at this point, though, so it might be outdated.

Conservatively speaking, the most recent age-constrained, unambiguous skeletal fossils of P. sardus are from the 3rd (Castiglione D) or 4th (Olmeta-di-Tuda) century A.D.; its extinction definitely took place at some point [immediately or long] after the late Roman times.
However, two other records may push this extinction date forward: Prolagus fossils from another karstic deposit of Castiglione D (tentatively dated from the 10th-13th c. A.D), and ambiguous archaeological remains from the 13th-15th c. A.D. Rocche di Sia castle. In which case the poor creature - along with its endemic micromammalian friends - would have fallen victim to the Medieval (rather than Roman) land clearing frenzy.

1 Like

Interesting! Very cool state.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.