What organisms have you been surprised to discover that people are unfamiliar with?

Noooo!!!

@marina_gorbunova @fluffyinca This is the fly that made all the mess: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/what-is-your-favorite-lifer-from-this-week/24219/343?u=elpatitojuan2

Update: She never guessed and I had to tell her what it was.

1 Like

There’s quite an infamous error on a book about bees. I read somewhere that the author was rather horrified when they discovered that the publisher had unilaterally changed the cover illustration before printing the first edition, or something like that…

5 Likes

No way! That’s a fly!

1 Like

Tardigrades are little known and underrated. Also in n Australia where I live there are lots of unique and strange animals but I find even my compatriots have generally never heard Phascogales. these are also known as tuans, wambengers or mousesacks. I promise am not making these words up

4 Likes

I used to think Pokemon was a Jamacian proctologist

2 Likes

“… but it is just a flower!” as a response to my excitement about rare orchids.
Sometimes you have to be grateful for at least this level of identification, I suppose …

3 Likes

For our neighbors in Mexico-City every butterfly was a “monarca”. They were surprised that there are actually many different butterflies in Mexico.

2 Likes

Had a trip with a driver and afterwards made a custom list of what he had names for vs. what it actually was:
Rook – Grey Starling
Tit – East. Yellow Wagtail
Gull – Stilt
Duck – Great Grebe, Coot
Mallard – Gadwall, Eastern Spot-billed Duck, any duck
Snipe – Greenshank
And also Water Deer was called either a Roe Deer or a goat, I get the second, but not the first name.

4 Likes

Oh that’s suuper true, I live in Mexico and EVERY orange butterfly is called ‘‘monarca’’.

Aaaaah, I’ve had toor guides calling a grey hawk ‘‘peregrine falcon’’, and Yucatan jays as ‘‘blue jays’’.

1 Like