What organisms have you been surprised to discover that people are unfamiliar with?

Noooo!!!

@fffffffff @fluffyinca This is the fly that made all the mess: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/what-is-your-favorite-lifer-from-this-week/24219/343?u=elpatitojuan2

Update: She never guessed and I had to tell her what it was.

1 Like

There’s quite an infamous error on a book about bees. I read somewhere that the author was rather horrified when they discovered that the publisher had unilaterally changed the cover illustration before printing the first edition, or something like that…

8 Likes

No way! That’s a fly!

2 Likes

Tardigrades are little known and underrated. Also in n Australia where I live there are lots of unique and strange animals but I find even my compatriots have generally never heard Phascogales. these are also known as tuans, wambengers or mousesacks. I promise am not making these words up

5 Likes

I used to think Pokemon was a Jamacian proctologist

2 Likes

“… but it is just a flower!” as a response to my excitement about rare orchids.
Sometimes you have to be grateful for at least this level of identification, I suppose …

4 Likes

For our neighbors in Mexico-City every butterfly was a “monarca”. They were surprised that there are actually many different butterflies in Mexico.

3 Likes

Had a trip with a driver and afterwards made a custom list of what he had names for vs. what it actually was:
Rook – Grey Starling
Tit – East. Yellow Wagtail
Gull – Stilt
Duck – Great Grebe, Coot
Mallard – Gadwall, Eastern Spot-billed Duck, any duck
Snipe – Greenshank
And also Water Deer was called either a Roe Deer or a goat, I get the second, but not the first name.

5 Likes

Oh that’s suuper true, I live in Mexico and EVERY orange butterfly is called ‘‘monarca’’.

1 Like

Aaaaah, I’ve had toor guides calling a grey hawk ‘‘peregrine falcon’’, and Yucatan jays as ‘‘blue jays’’.

2 Likes

No, she never found out the fly family and I had to tell her.

I thought this wasn’t a very serious topic until I was recently told that all toads are male and all frogs are female, as well as they both are reptiles :snake: :snake:.

2 Likes

When I was young, I was surprised to find out that turtles are not amphibians.

2 Likes

Many people believe that in fact.

1 Like

Oh, poor authors! Wouldn’t it make you cringe.
It reminds me of newspaper articles where journalists summarise what they think an expert has said, but due to their ignorance of the subject they get it very wrong.

4 Likes

If I were the author I would get a panic attack.

2 Likes

Very recently I saw in the news about a bat species that was discovered to mimic the buzz of a hornet. Everything was ok until they introduced a video of a clumsy vampire bat crawling around.

3 Likes

recently i was giving a brief presentation about reptiles and i showed a picture of a green anole (anolis carolinensis) and two ladies there were surprised to learn the name of it! i live in the southeastern united states, there are green anoles everywhere. they do great in urbanized areas, they are typically bright green, they are large enough to be seen, and they bask very prominently on walls and posts and things. not to mention the fact that they’re as common as all get out—i see at least a green anole a day in the warmer months, even if i don’t go anywhere! both of the ladies acknowledged they see “those little green lizards” all the time, they just had no idea what they were. i reckon it just surprised me that someone could see a very obvious creature all the time and not even google it! bless their hearts, they were real sweet about learning more about reptiles and they loved seeing my rescued captive common leopard gecko, they just needed someone to start them off on learning more about the world around them. most people don’t have any particular hatred for nature, they just weren’t raised in a way that led them to be curious about the life around them beyond humans and cats and dogs and therefore never do much in the way of seeking out new information.

it is common here, too, for turkey vultures (cathartes aura) to be called “buzzards” and for people to be completely unaware that there are other names for vultures, let alone the fact that we have two different species around here. vultures are a crucial part of our ecosystems, they are thankfully common, and they are rather distinctive because they are large dark birds, which makes it seem like people would know things about them. they’re not dirty birds nor will they try to carry your dog away, they’re just waiting around for a carrion supper. don’t shoot them please.

snakes are a whole beast of their own. many people in these parts will have a very strong fear of snakes but know nothing about them at all. they can’t identify any of them (everything is a deadly ‘poisonous’ copperhead lol) and don’t understand any of the things driving the behaviors of snakes. hands-on experiences with calm snakes alongside some simple information about them (“this is a corn snake, he is not venomous, he eats rodents, he is on your driveway because he must sit in the sun to warm up and he didn’t run away because he’s just as full as a tick and would rather nap! i am going to move him to the side now, you can pet him if you’d like and see that he is smooth and not slimy”) goes a long way in helping people respect them more. most people just don’t have any real information, don’t know where to find information, and don’t have any reason to believe they should seek new information out because they don’t see how it affects their lives.

i wish it was standard for kids in school to learn about common plants and animals in the area because so many people are quite willing to support conservation efforts once they learn anything about the natural world around them.

5 Likes

always the stock media of a totally different species! every reptile news story around here has a picture of a ball/royal python, bearded dragon, or copperhead (agkistrodon not austrelaps). never mind what actual reptile the story is meant to be about lol

1 Like