What's the worst pic you uploaded to iNat?

Someday in the future, photographers with better technology than what we have now will look at our images with pity. I’m waiting for the technology that will freeze a bird in place and remove any obstructing vegetation, as well as providing perfect focus.

5 Likes

I’d be happy if I could with a press of a button turn off the wind for a moment while photographing flowers. Use a tripod, they say - well, that doesn’t help in windy conditions at all.

6 Likes

I’m not sure that would be as much fun – or rewarding. Removing foliage could also possibly remove identity cues.

And have you heard of the ICM (Intentional Camera Movement) craze in ‘fine art’ photography? There’s a lot of that going around. Intentional, ‘impressionistic’ blurring of photographs by setting a slow shutter speed and introducing camera motion for effect.

There’s a few big advocates of this in my camera club and I just find, as a naturalist anxious to NOT blur things, the whole thing a bit too much for my artistically-challenged soul.

And some ICMers go out of their way to buy very expensive, high quality but MISMATCHED lenses to give them the effect that they’re after. I struggle to understand this. Heck, buy a cheap lens and a little tube of petroleum jelly and you should be all set, right?

As for future tech – don’t be too sure. I’ve seen prints made from 100+ year old plates that absolutely blow away digital stuff for captured detail.

3 Likes

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/162444780

This one, I had spent the better part of an hour watching it intermittently zoom back and forth but I needed to leave and wanted to get at least a picture

3 Likes

I try to upload just a photo of fur or a foot as the first photo with a disclaimer about graphic content. If i dont have multiple photos I try to use the marker feature and scribble over the graphic parts in a color thats not too distracting.

1 Like

I love this topic! Here are my two worst offenders:

Sculptured Resin Bee
Alabama Hogsucker

2 Likes

Does your camera have a sports mode (for action shots)?

HMMMMM. yellow belly/tail & spotted brown back

Female baltimore oriole, perhaps? https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Baltimore_Oriole/photo-gallery/306381531

1 Like

It has all sorts of fancy modes and I know how to freeze action using flash. But none of that helps with getting a proper focus lock and controlling composition and angle when trying to photograph details on a plant flopping around in the wind. Pretty much the only thing that helps is holding it so it can’t move which limits the sort of pictures one can take. I usually end up taking a ton of pictures and deleting most of them.

2 Likes

“dog’s nose art” lol I feel you. Can’t get any pics from any windows in my house

1 Like

That’s pretty bad! :-)

1 Like

Any of my Cetacean photos. I live on an island in the Pacific and I still can’t get a good photo of a whale.

6 Likes

Lol, now that’s pretty funny

Stenolemus giraffa from Kununurra WA 6743, Australia on March 03, 2022 at 07:48 PM by simono · iNaturalist

Infuriatingly, this is the only observation on iNat of this taxa.

16 Likes

I love emesinids!

And yeah, I think the contrast and pattern of fabric is just too enticing for autofocus.

2 Likes

That is truly jaw dropping! Great detail in the seaweeds!

2 Likes

Here’s a new horrible bird picture in the form of a bird ID quiz:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/165990573
Early June in Austin, Texas, and the blur doesn’t seem to match any of the resident species of the area.

8 Likes

Here I have another bad photo that I took in April .

1 Like

I think you nailed it!

My best efforts still match your original ID.

4 Likes

Toughie. My best rescue effort:

5 Likes