What's the worst pic you uploaded to iNat?

Once I figure out how I want to compile my own (eg. Do I want to include observation fields for why it’s terrible - blurry, overexposed, not distinct, etc) I just might! And then I’ll share a link here so everyone can point and laugh at my worst pics and feel better about theirs.

Except @polypody . Sorry, but until I photograph a polar bear in a blizzard (and post it, instead of tossing it), I can’t top that low contrast bat at night pic.

2 Likes

And my camera decided to try and second-guess me. “No, you’ve taken lots of ode photos today. Look at those cattail leaves! Aren’t they amazing?

I think it’s great that camera manufacturers have perfected an embedded iNat companion AI that encourages us to delve deeper into botany. It’s really helpful when you spot a lifer and neglect the sublime beauty of some random branch.

8 Likes

That’s a demon! A screaming lady demon. Some type of demon.

1 Like

I like the idea of this, but how do they enforce that people are only submitting their own observations?

I can imagine someone adding another user’s observation here with no malice intended (trying to “help” an observation get an ID), but the observer seeing the Project title and the description (“Submit your crappy photos” ) and being hurt/offended/disheartened.

2 Likes

It does look more like a capybara, but less like a photograph. I like it!

Like something DALL·E 2 might come up with?
Eg. “A capybara in a spooky forest, in the style of creepypasta images”

3 Likes

There’s also Observational Comedy, which would be a good place for lots of these fine examples!

1 Like

I’ll always be perversely proud of the lousiness of my very first observation. What it lacks in total blurriness, it makes up for in paucity of pixels!

I’ve also got lots of stunning photos of bird butts.

4 Likes

You should join this project: The Butt End Of Nature · iNaturalist

4 Likes

It seemed so cool at the time https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/151736877

4 Likes

Haha! I see a bit of upped contrast can help a lot! I’m still learning along the way, and only in the last month have I started editing my photos at all after taking them

It’s a yellowfin mojarra, a common species in South Florida coastal and brackish waters

I amn’t experienced with fish, only with planthoppers… That also 8 months or so…

Twitchy boat - one handed camera operation. First visit here!

7 Likes

I got a lot of shitty pics on a long road trip, taking pics out the window of a moving car (for clarification, I was not the one driving!). Many of these I am genuinely surprised reached research grade!

Brown Falcon

Brolga

Intermediate Egret

Well uh. It’s a bird. I think

Blue-winged Kookaburra

Rainbow Lorikeet

Little Corella

Black-necked Stork

4 Likes

A visit from the AI Bird.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I also think. Now that is fat!

very effective.

2 Likes

well, I see that the legs are blurred even in the sharpened photo. Still pretty good :)

3 Likes