What's your image editing process from raw image to iNat

I shoot only RAW on my Nikons. I keep trying Adobe products and I like Lightrooms organization tool and geotagging tools, but their image processing is far slower and inferior to other software, in my experience. For the past few years I’ve been using DXO Photolab as my main RAW processor as it has, to my eye, by far the best RAW developer and it also doesn’t make my laptops fans start whirring over nothing like Adobe does. It lacks good digital asset management features but it has enough for my needs.

I make a folder for the calendar date on which the photos were taken (eg 2024-02-05) and copy the photos into it from my card. Before importing images into DXO, I use the open source Darktable software to add tags to my photos, as well as geotag them using this method. I’ll then go through the photos and cull them, marking bad ones as rejected and deleting them from my computer.

After cropping and making small exposure and color adjustments, and somtimes using DXO’s “Prime” denoising, I’ll export as a 2048 px jpeg if the cropped photo is larger than 2048 on the longest edge.

Then, unless the photo is really something special, I’ll delete the original RAW files as well.

1 Like