Which common name to use - the most common or taxonomically accurate?

This is something that has just come up for me and I’m interested to see what others think.

A species has two common names that could be set as the global default. There are no regional/local name considerations, and there is no authoritative list of common names to point to.

Name A is far more commonly used (by several orders of magnitude), and is the name used in essentially all reference works, other databases, etc. It is taxonomically inaccurate (in that the name is something like “Northern X”, but is not a member of the group that are called “true Xes”), and this has resulted in some confusion and identification issues in the past on iNat.

Name B is used rarely, to the point that there are only a single-digit number of examples online of someone using it organically. It is unlikely that anyone at all is coming to iNat and trying to find information about the species under name B. However, it is taxonomically accurate, and highlights an evolutionary relationship that is not otherwise obvious.

Which name should be the default that will show up on iNat pages: A or B? This is a case where there are no gray areas - using a standard based on either taxonomy or common use both give unambiguous answers, and there is no real compromise name possible.

Ive tried to keep this general to avoid biases, and I’m going to refrain from immediately giving my opinion. But you can read about the specific case and where I fall here: https://www.inaturalist.org/flags/397658

4 Likes