Worst Inaturalist Experiences Ever

I had a farmer threaten to beat me up because I had gone down a dead-end road to observe wildlife, and his daughter just happened to jog down the same stretch. He believed I was stalking her. We both have to U-turn to get out and passing/following each other was completely unavoidable. He only let off when I showed him the photos on my camera.

9 Likes

Wow! That sounds pretty scary. Thank goodness you found some interesting things to take photos of.

4 Likes

wow… private road or public?

2 Likes

Public, signposted, and within sight of the highway.

6 Likes

Did you know that you can edit a Live photo and pick which of the several shots you want to keep and delete the others? That’s saved me a few times.

4 Likes

I guess I would say my “worst experience” is just that I have so many great “nature photos” dating back to 2010, but very few of them are useful here. I have been doing outdoor things, biking and hiking, for a long time, and in Montana, I used to go out around once a week. And I took dozens of pictures: but most of the time I was either just trying to take a landscape picture, or I was focusing on something artistic. So I have hundreds and hundreds of these pictures from Montana, and other places, but most of them don’t quite fit here. They show organisms, but usually only as part of a landscape, and not something that can easily be identified. The times that I did get something, it was because it was very rare (Bald Eagle, Rattlesnake), or I was taking an art shot (drops of water on a Lupine).

So that is my “worst experience”…the experiences I didn’t have.

8 Likes

‘just a landscape’ is useful for a wider view of that organism’s habitat, if you can give the ID. We have many pictures of details, not so many of the surroundings.

7 Likes

A few weeks ago I saw an oak tree with a whole bunch of different galls on it during one of my walks (Common Spangle, Knopper and Oak Marble galls, at the very least). I rushed forwards in my excitement to take pictures, so focused on my goal that I didn’t even realise that I’d walked right into the center of a huge patch of stinging nettles under the tree. It was one of those days where it was like 33°C (hot for England) and I was wearing shorts, so I managed to get itchy stinging nettle rashes all up my legs. I gave up on taking pictures of the oak galls on that tree after that, so it all ended up being for nothing :’(

14 Likes

So, for example, in this observation, which I took because it was a pretty picture, I uploaded it and identified it as “Lodgepole Pine”, because that was the predominant species.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/42040912

3 Likes

Oh, Oliver! That does sound like an epically bad iNat experience! :astonished:I can’t know if your stinging nettles are the same as California ones, so I I can only imagine.

2 Likes

I just disable it immediately. I don’t see any need for it.

I’m Not the most knowledgeable user, so kindly explain the downside(s) to a Live picture? I know it’s not hard to turn it off, but why is that important?

sometimes, I edit the Live picture to find a frame that is a better image and make it the Key Frame.

1 Like

It’s like a short video about 1.5 or so seconds long that acts like a moving photo.

Because it moves many services don’t recognize it as a photo, but as a video instead.

For things like iNat that doesn’t work at all.

I’m mostly an Android user, so I have to ask…can you save a live photo as a gif? iNat does accept gifs.

1 Like

It looks like you can but it requires a third party app and more fiddling around with everything.

I honestly don’t see the point of the Live Photo option and don’t like it.

1 Like

For future reference, the juice from a dock plant can be useful in reducing the sting from nettles :) They aren’t fun to stumble in to at all!

3 Likes

Huh… I upload iPhone Live photos all the time to iNat. My Live pics display as still pictures once uploaded to iNat, but I think they look okay (well, within the limits of my photography skills).

One aspect of Live Photo’s I find helpful is for taking a pictures of a moving subject, like a bird or butterfly or flower bobbing in the wind. I can scroll through the frames to see if there’s one that shows the subject to better advantage and set that as the key frame. E.g., If the bird turns it’s head as I take the picture, I can check to see if there’s a frame that shows the beak better. But, yes, it is a bit fiddley to do that plus crop the photo.

5 Likes

What absolute jerks! I’m sorry you had that happen, especially the two fishing examples.

2 Likes

A week ago, I was in my local preserve searching for a critically endangered plant when the person taking me stepped in human poo. It smelled so bad!

4 Likes

A lot of men are assholes. I am male, and am continually taken aback by the things men do. It is nice to belong to a group where gender doesn’t matter (at least in the open).

8 Likes