A massive shoutout! My brother's photography page on Instagram

Maybe, you are right. But when I search benkurek
Or be Benkurek_

this is what I see:

But, if you see differently… I may have done something wrong?

Try two underscores

I don’t know how bobmcd & I are getting such a different result than you.
I see the Search result returning the same profile avatar as your screen shot, but I see observations under it:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?user_id=benkurek__

@teellbee turn off your limitation to North America and try again

2 Likes

Oh, sure,

Like teellbee said, the format is kind of similar to spam (e.g. “check out my channel” type comments)

As long as it goes to an actual (non-commercially affiliated) nature photography account, however, it fits the forum category.

[addendum: just searched for it. Seems to be tied to a non-profit wildlife rescue. @benkurek, it might have assuaged some suspicions if you’d mentioned that up front. :slightly_smiling_face: By the way, welcome to the forum!]

2 Likes

oh, the not having place=any and verifiable=any on the new observation page link strikes again!

2 Likes

Kindly, if you have time, show me your screenshots?

By default, when I go to https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?user_id=benkurek__

Only showing 43 observations (his profile said 74)

When I filter for any on verifiable (I already had place as any):

Showing 74 observations

2 Likes

BTW, I feel almost obligated to point out…there’s no requirement for anyone who posts here to have an iNat account.

E.g., If OP had been someone thinking of signing up, and was sharing their brother’s instagram in the correct topic category as a way of feeling out the community before joining.

Though I understand being cautious, and how the comment could look like spam too.

1 Like

Meant to send that as a PM to teellbee

We are all here to learn and share.

1 Like

Well, as a person in the past, who has innocently and ~very~ “Erroneously ” clicked a link a labeled ‘Wildlife’

…and then gotten a nasty interpretation of what some people may label “wildlife”…

Ahhh… I am cautiously suspicious … yes. Cautious, but Glad to hear if you think this is quite innocent.

I wasn’t trying to shame you, and I did say I understood and partially agreed. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This isn’t spam, this is a legitimate post! I wanted you all to check out his account as he has just started in the field of macro photography :)

1 Like

I should have mentioned everything up front. My brother is on inaturalist too, him not having an inat account isn’t the reason he started a photography page on insta, he just wants to pursue his hobby, if you want proof he’s on inat just click @d_kurek. :)

2 Likes

My apologies! Is this post classified as spam? Should I take it down ? I didn’t have bad intentions…

1 Like

Don’t worry about it @benkurek - you were just being enthusiastic about your brother. My sister is on iNat and I’m enthusiastic about her. People were just being cautious about external links. Maybe just give a little more info [edit] your original post. I would leave it in place. But could you double check the link because I am not on instagram and when I do a search for it via google I end up at something that says Wildlife Victoria
A not-for-profit Wildlife Emergency Response Service to assist native wildlife in need.
Please help support our lifesaving work. Is that where I’m supposed to be? Because I’m not really seeing any Macrophotography there…

oops I just checked again in Instagram itself and found his page at https://www.instagram.com/wildlife_victoria/?hl=en

Yes, your brother has some great macro pictures of, in particular, spiders - I’ve been trying to do macros this summer and they are not easy - nice shots. Gonna check out his iNat posts too… goodness he has lots of obs - ~1100 species … not so much on instagram but lots on iNat. Noticed he has a link back to his iNat account on Instagram.

Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

That’s the one I saw earlier. I noticed it didn’t have an underscore like @benkurek said their brother’s IG account does, but I just thought it was a typo in the original post.

Which was pretty presumptive of me to assume Ben would misspell his brother’s account that he was sharing but that I’d found the real account. :sweat:

1 Like

Thanks guys! Sorry for getting straight to the point lol, I’m so used to facebook where people just bluntly post expecting people to understand straight away with no suspicion or caution.

1 Like

I’m glad you came back and reassured me this is a safe link… the original announcement did inspire caution in me. Thank you to @Star3 and @bobmcd for investigating and explaining.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.