A question on Data Quality Assessment

While most DQA categories are self-explanatory, I don’t know what some mean.Specifically, what is “evidence of organism,” “Recent evidence of an organism” and “Community Taxon at species level or lower?” Thank you.

If you click the link at the top of that section, there are some longer explanations:

Evidence of organism means there is an organism depicted in the photo or audio file that the observer provided. It includes alive/dead organisms, or past evidence, like tracks, scat, and dead leaves. A picture of a rock, the sky, or a landscape pic of the ocean would qualify as “Evidence of organism? No”. (There may be evidence of humans having taken the photo, but that’s sort of in the weeds.)

Recent evidence of an organism refers mainly to fossils. iNat defines recent as within the past ~100 years, so things like egg shells, nests, or scat are OK, unless they’re fossilized/real old.

The community taxon is displayed on the right side of the page.

If it’s at rank=species or lower (subspecies, variety, etc), then it meets the criteria

1 Like

Evidence =
Scat, a bird’s feather, an animal’s burrow, a snake’s sloughed skin, etc.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s clear now. But take a look at this observation https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/26814170. Why is the community taxon checked in green when there is no second ID? Thanks.

Looks like a bug/oversight. To be honest I never even noticed that line in the DQA. :blush:

1 Like

Trust me to bring up those picky details :)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.