A tool to help you fill local data gaps "Easily Missed"

Wow. Excellent site and a great tool, and it will be pretty useful to some people. Five stars. I also recommend going further in maybe modernizing the font.

It did not load for me after 5 minutes on an iPhone 13 (iOS 16), nor on my MacBook. Via wifi or via cellular.

Is your gps on?

Yes, GPS is on, and I don’t hide my location. Maybe a Mac thing.

OK, I got it to work. I had to change a setting for a pop-up window. My doughnut score for the 1km/5km is 69.5%.

1 Like

If you’re looking for what to add, seeing observers list of big circle and a doughnut separately, or compare them to little circle list.

No luck on an iPhone 13, but i will try updating to iOS 16.1 etc.to see if that makes a diff. I will also check location permissions for iNat.

Edit: Nope, no good w/iOS 16.1.1 either . Location services for iNat are set to While Using.
@simonrolph
I just get a spinning circle after trying for up to 3 minutes. Now, I am in a location with lots of iNat activity (Bay Area). How long did it take to get results at Cal Academy?

This is a really good idea!

I got it to work on my iPad, with my correct location, but unfortunately the parameters are not very useful for me. The 1km radius doesn’t even leave my farm, and I am the only observer who has made observations within 5km. The doughnut score was 2.27% (and I’m not sure what the -0.36 means).

It didn’t work on my computer, and I think that is because my internet connection is coming through the Sky Muster satellite service. The location it is giving me is in a state on the other side of the country!

So I agree with the suggestions that have been made about being able to customise the radius of the search, and also to choose a location other than what your device is giving.

2 Likes

The donut score at my house is 26% (483/1856), seemingly impacted by the fact that I obscure all observations where I live. The top missing species is a butterfly I definitely uploaded before.

I like it. My immediate response though was to try to grab the pin and move it. I live about 1.25 km from a marine shoreline so my score of 21.64% needs a bit of a realistic adjustment. It does not take much to realize that I won’t find sea cucumbers or octupus in the near neighbourhood, anywhere - it would take a little work to weed out the unrealistics and figure out what the % would be. Where is that marine filter…?

As noted it would be nice to set the location so one could plan a trip to somewhere to find the elusive observations.

Ooops. I just noticed @rupertclayton has the same marine type issue.

The list looks incomplete in number where only 162 sp were returned and I should be looking at about 2800. Did I miss something?

I just checked and about 50% of the species missing are marine so that should shift my score to about 42% (I think?).

2 Likes

With the most easily missed it makes sense it doesn’t show thousands of species in the list.

1 Like

Looks like it works well my side.
Great little tool
Your next challenge cold e to make an app version of this for when you on the road.
Thank you

1 Like

This is cool, thanks! 23% where I am. Seconding a few things above - choosing the location would be great: it’s not got my location very accurately, missing part of a large park that should be in range! As some have observed, obscured locations are not picked up - not a solvable problem but makes a big difference.

Makes sense. I was looking for where that limitation was noted and I think I missed it.

I’ve made some updates so that you can now move the doughnut to where ever you want and change it’s size:

You may need to make a ‘hard refresh’ to properly reload the page to clear the cache. You can do this in chrome by holding ctrl when clicking refresh.

You can simply move around the map where you’ll see a ‘ghost doughnut’ indicating where you’ll get species lists from. Then you can click on “move doughnut to new location”. Or you can manually enter lat/lon in the advanced options. You can also change the radii of the circles in these options.

When you click on “apply settings” the page will refresh at the new location. This will update the URL which you can revisit easily by copying the link, or sharing with a friend or whatever. For example this url will take you to london: https://simonrolph.github.io/easily_missed/?lat=51.50852877586289&lng=-0.10128021240234376&i_rad=1&o_rad=5

I’ve also changed it so that you can see where records on the map outside of the doughnut in case that is useful for your scouting for under recorded areas. Originally it only showed this for the inside the doughnut.

Let me know what you think

11 Likes

I’m not sure if I actually note this anywhere but what you’ve observed is true it doesn’t list every species. Basically it starts with the top 500 species from the big area then reduces this down to ones that haven’t been seen in the small area.

2 Likes

Very interesting web app. It works great on my Mac using Safari. It didn’t reveal any great surprises. Living near the coast I run into the same marine species issues that other have noted above.

I would love to be able to print a simple missed species checklist so that I wouldn’t need to refer to my phone when I’m outside.

1 Like

When I removed my marine from my list I copy pasted into a Google Sheets and went from there. You could print that sheet or just have it saved to your phone.
[Edit. You don’t even need a spread sheet - you can just drop it into some form of notes. I used the spreadsheet to count my species after I removed the marine so I could get a sense of relative]

1 Like

The location change and adjustable radii changes work well and seem to address most of the issues that people have raised. It’s a really great tool.

I wonder if, when a user clicks Advanced Options, it would work better to pre-fill the Lat and Long with the current values rather than default to 0,0? I was confused for a while as to why the map showed all blue. Then I figured out I was in the Atlantic Ocean off West Africa.

I’m still seeing the subspecies issue with default settings at my home location. 101 Western Fence Lizard (Sceloporus occidentalis) records within the 5 km circle (down from 119 yesterday, so there must have been some code change). But listed as a missing species as the only record from within the 1km circle is a subspecies Sceloporus occidentalis ssp. bocourtii. That’s an RG observation, so I can only think it’s being excluded because the community taxon (or observation taxon?) is not at species level.

1 Like

That is exactly the workaround I just used :smile:

1 Like