A tool to help you fill local data gaps "Easily Missed"

It is 38% for my doughnut. It will never get above 50% since a large preserve is within 5km of my house, along with a beach that is 4km away not in the 1km.

Be mindful of ho you deal with obscured observations, or those with a large accuracy boundary - do they count for their given point, or anywhere within the obscuration or the accuracy boundary? Also, for some locations, you may need actually *smaller circles than the default, so it’s good you made those editable; but the default on the ‘edit’ tab is to put it in the ocean, so maybe have that carry-over from whatever the last position was before clicking the ‘edit’ tab.

Kudos both for your great idea and the implementation. If it weren’t winter (and dark) here, I’d just try and find and photograph those easily missed species in my area right away, the doughnut score is mere 7%. I can find some of those in my photo archive but I’ve never bothered taking photos of the obvious species. For many areas I often visit they’re something as conspicuous as trees. Thank you for your thingy, I’m sure we’ll spend a lot of of quality time together!

3 Likes

@rupertclayton @tchakamaura I have just done a small fix that should hopefully stop it being reset to 0,0 and being in the middle of the ocean! Thanks for pointing out

@rupertclayton I hadn’t done anything about subspecies yet. So it’s not to do with me that it changed, I guess someone was doing some identifying to sub-species level which stopped them appearing in the (currently species level only) list, thus reducing the number from 119 to 101. I will fix this soon!

@tchakamaura I’m not entirely sure how obscured / low accuracy species are being represented in this. Whether it’s to do with the central location of the point or whether the uncertainty circle of the record overlaps. I would assume it would be due to the central point but I’ll have a look.

It might make sense to only include observations of a level of accuracy, maybe <100m?

For those who are interested here’s the API endpoint I’m using: https://api.inaturalist.org/v1/docs/#!/Observations/get_observations and using the lat, lng and radius parameters

I have set verifiable (eg. they have a picture and are able to be verified even if they aren’t research grade yet) to true but I haven’t specified that the observations need to be research grade. This is intentional as I like the idea that you can submit an observation and then refresh the page and it’s updated immediately. Other options I could use include the captive parameter to filter out cultivated species which someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

4 Likes

You might want to include all those extra parameters the iNat API can take (verifiable, captive, reserach grade…) into the URL without creating a UI for them. This way, when someone needs to use those parameters for a specific purpose, they can simply put them to the URL but you don’t need to bother with creating an interface for them. I used to program similar projects this way: create an API call from URL with all possible parameters, fill all of them with some default values if not set (or leave them empty), create UI for those parameters I deemed users will be interested in. And when somebody needed to create a rare case query, I could just point them to add a parameter to the URL.

4 Likes

Very nice tool, thanks !

From @caroig 's excellent suggestion I’ve set it up so that you can put any of the API query parameters into the URL and it should work. For example if you add ?user_id=(your username) on the url like https://simonrolph.github.io/easily_missed/?user_id=simonrolph it’ll show only your observations. Or you could only show a particular iconic taxa eg. https://simonrolph.github.io/easily_missed/?iconic_taxa=Plantae will only show plants. The numbers of records, doughnut score and map all will be respective of the filters you apply.

As suggested by @bobmcd and @kevintoo I’ve implemented a way to easily copy the species list for use offline. There’s a new button at the top called ‘copy list’:

If you click this, it should copy the list to your clipboard meaning you can then paste it where ever you want eg. a google sheet:

Or add it to a notes app on your phone, send it an email, print it out etc.

10 Likes

Woohoo! Thank you @simonrolph. I’m having way too much fun using your web app.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! You gave us an amazing tool. I spent my entire daytime dog walk looking for & photographing trees missing from my doughnut. And set myself a goal to do the same in areas I often visit. Thanks to your tool I realized there’s a lot to look for even though it’s a bleak snowless winter here.

2 Likes

What a cool tool! I haven’t figured out how to update the species list after moving the donut (I’m on iOS).

Really like the idea, I think I ran into two bugs through Firefox.

For me ‘Copy list - Move doughnut - Return to GPS - Advanced options’ doesn’t show unless I type an ? at the end of https://simonrolph.github.io/easily_missed/. This only happened on Firefox (I also tried on Brave and Safari).

Second bug is that when I use the ‘Move doughnut…’ option the new link has both the old and new coordinates, and the Doughnut score, species list and so on are kept the same . This is how it looks with your London example:

I moved the doughnut to the isle of dog (cool name), this is the resulting link https://simonrolph.github.io/easily_missed/?lat=51.49677467073&lng=-0.016479492187500003&i_rad=1&o_rad=5&lat=51.50852877586289&lng=-0.10128021240234376&i_rad=1&o_rad=5
If I keep moving the doughnut the new coordinates will also be added every time. I was able to reproduce this on Safari and Brave

1 Like

Here’s what it looks like after moving the donut. The pin correctly moves to the donut to the new location, but the species list doesn’t update; it still shows the species around where I’m currently located (at a very remote location with few observations). Do I need to do something to refresh the species list to the new donut?

EDIT: I figured out how to make it work, but it’s quite an ordeal. I entered just the address ending with ?, then manually entered the lat/long into the tool (do not move the donut) and click move donut to new location, then it worked.

That is awesome. I will go on a tour this weekend and will definately check out this tool and have a look which species I should not forget to take pictures of (now that the pin is moveable :+1:)

1 Like

If I keep moving the doughnut the new coordinates will also be added every time.

Same issue on Chrome on iPad.

Very excited about this tool.

The missing buttons will likely be due to you needing to do a hard refresh to reload the page:
https://www.documate.org/resources/what-is-a-hard-refresh-how-to-do-a-hard-refresh-in-any-browser

The coordinates getting endlessly added to the url, yep that’s definitely an issue! Whoops, I’ll try and fix that.

Edit: I have done a quick fix which should resolve this. However, if you enter some custom parameters into the url such as user_id=X then they will be discarded when you move the doughnut. I’ll repair that functionality when I get time, probably next week. It’ll need a hard refresh (see link above) to implement the the fix.

5 Likes

A great tool for inturalist. I have used for my home base in the UK and for the Overberg (Napier - Bredasdorp - Agulhas region in south Africa and made some interesting discoveries. I would work on a number of genera and would like an option to choose a genus only. Thanks for developing this.

3 Likes

SO cool! I’m at 88% in my area of interest. Looking at the list, I can’t believe I’ve missed some of these. I’m adding this to my favorite’s bar.

Thank you!

This is an awesome little tool, and I’m definitely going to be making use of it - thank you!

Hi all,

I’ve made some changes, more just enhancements and neatening things up. However I did re-implement that if you add custom url parameters that they won’t be discarded if you move the doughnut.

Moved things around a bit so hopefully it’s a little more intuitive to use rather than one massive bank of buttons at the top. I’ve also added a little loading bar just to make it more apparent that it is working on stuff to reassure people as in highly recorded areas it can take a while to load as it compares species lists.

As usual, needs a ‘hard refresh’ to properly load in the changes.

9 Likes

That’s marvellous, that is - well done & thanks!