Add a DQA choice for "survey" photos

I like the idea of having a few iNat controlled categories that could be assigned to individual photos in an observation.

For plants, I’d like to be able to tag photos with something like “habitat”, “whole organism”, “stem/leaves”, “flowers”, “fruit/seeds”, “bark/wood”, “roots”. This could get to be an awkwardly long list of categories though. Perhaps it would be higher taxon responsive (at the level of plants, inverts, fungi, vertebrates, bacteria).

Still, I imagine it won’t be long before machine learning can automatically categorise all our photos to this level.

1 Like

Sorry if that reply was drifting too far from the original feature request.

For observations with only photos of habitats, plots, restoration sites, etc., I’m usually happy enough labeling them with “Evidence of organism= no” and moving on. When users are making many of these, I message them and ask them to add a species label of a prominent species in the photo to make us happy. This seems to be working OK.

3 Likes

On iSpot each photograph had a “title” field. Which was very handy for adding labels such as “habit”, “habitat”, “juvenile leaf-close up”, “anthers showing awns”, “gall”, “insect in gall”, etc.
There is no way to do this on iNaturalist (and iSpot upgrade ditched this).

{I guess this is a feature request but I have already been told only 3 per week and I am already almost into the May queue}

1 Like

Being able to apply simple labels to photos would be terrific! Currently we make comments such as “in photo 3 you can see the pustules clearly”

1 Like

Mapping Vegetation Types.

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/vegmaphoto-s-afr

We had a request to use iNaturalist to compile “iconic” pictures of our national vegetation types. The way we accommodated this was to request that one of the dominant species should be the focus of the observation, but that the “iconic picture” could be the first picture in the series (it would be ideal if the pictures could be labelled, and this could get a special label).
It seems to be working quite well (bearing in mind the usual observers who cannot follow simple instructions), although the project has not yet been launched. Except that it seems to have morphed into adding an observation for each of the top 5 dominant species in the community, which seems to be something entirely different.

Since all photos should show the subject organism, and the site developers are exploring the option of annotating individual photos, I’m going to close this feature request requesting a DQA entry for survey/establishing shot type photos. A related thread to continue the discussion is:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/photo-annotations/937

1 Like