African Giant snail problem

ooh than I can try I guess

1 Like

Please don’t only read half of my anserrs or take parts out of context. My first reply said exactly this… He can do it, just should not expect a big impact… Everything else was an ongoing conversation with replies.tp replies … and btw… location was never mentioned. For all i know it could very well be in South America…

Salt is not a humane way to kill them, it’s possible they feel pain and they die slowly

1 Like

I read your whole answers, instead of just making a causious call to make sure species is correct and check local species, not show that activity to others and not create something from shells in masse, not using salt, you started talking about whole world, about eradication invasive species from continents, etc., when it’s just one person willing to do something, your answers are not on the scale we’re talking about, you can be pessimistic, but you can’t force people to not make an actually good thing, even if impact is low, there’re many saved plants from each killed snail.
To add no, we’re talking about different part of the world.

Well I want to say something, that I live in Delhi(India) so there are not much snail species that I have seen, and none similar to Giant African Snail, so I won’t be killing any native or endangered species, and yes I am all by myself, so there will be no problem about bunch of people killing snail similar to Giant African snail, and not only there invasiveness that hits me, it is also little kids in park catch them with bare hands and think this is cool, they take them as pets to home and spread the problem, and also they contain harmful pathogen that can harm humans(And I hate touching wild animals with bare hands when I see someone touching lions and tiger with bare hands it doesn’t feel good,
As for way of killing them I don’t know what else to do, I can be either a true human who don’t hurt any snail and see them peacefully to spread or I do stop them for spreading.
And not only this but rock pigeon is also the one that’s same in the way they are invasive and taking shelter of the native birds, and also food shortage also come here, but I can’t do anything about them(can I?) I can’t kill them, my family will banish me) wait can I eat them(no I am vegeterian)I can do nothing about them, But I saw no invasive species is there in my village because there food chain is lot bigger than ours, and also village is in jungle so the invasive species I saw here cannot live there which make me a little chill.

3 Likes

And also a NGO in south of india is eradicating Giant African Snail by collecting them from local people and giving them money and they make soaps out of there slimes. That looks like a best way

1 Like

Are you kidding me? …Sorry, but you are just about to leave the basis for an insightful discurs and I will save my breath on you here as I feel it will lead nowhere…

What’s that hard if this is not the topic about what you’re talking about? You started the “later discussion”, not others.

So why would this not be an option? Bring your snails to this NGO and I am sure they would be happy to give you empty shells they have?

So now that I know you are in India (never was mentioned before actually) I am btw. still convinced that the snail is there to stay. Already well established all over the place and fighting it is a fight against windmills. You can collect them if it feels right for you, but I would not expect a big impact even from what the NGO is doing.

You are aware that forum discussions are not streamline and narrow? Of course it is about someone trying to keep an invasive at bay and it is totally fine to talk about the sense behind that as well, even if you do not like it. I really don´t get your issue here.

If you want to explain, please use the messenger function or just leave me alone. I feel you actually lead the discussion already to far away from the point, by not getting my comments and I really dn´t think thats fair to the OP

I don’t have issue with that, it’s just that you only talk about how it’s ineffective, if you know how to make it more effective, I’m sure it’s a valuable information we’re seeking for, just learning to live with invasive species isn’t the best advice, eliminating each specimen makes a difference, it’s even more helpful to do on small scale if species is spreading fast.
I don’t think it’s fair to OP to tell him he’s doing a meaningless job.

I live in delhi, they are in kerala(south india) so they are of no help

Ok. But maybe they can give you soe advice on your question as they seem to have experience?

they have eliminated all invasive snails in parks in some parts of kerala and are working on private property where snails are more.

1 Like

I don’t know how to contact them, cause I just read it on articles, and ngo is not accessible online

Yup! I once found one in my garden!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.