Amount of "Unknown" records is decreasing

Heh, I remember crouching and photographing this young rattlesnake in the desert a few years ago and then realizing I probably needed a top-down shot of the intraocular scales to get to species, so I stood up quickly and nearly got bitten. I wouldn’t advise always trying to get a full set of diagnostic shots for every taxon. ;-) But yes, I agree iNat could do better about encouraging observers to take more and better photos.

Getting as many RG observations as possible is an aim, but not the primary aim of iNat. Working on better onboarding is on the agenda, but much of our designer’s time is currently being taken up with the notifications revamp. One possibility is (eventually) using the computer vision suggestions to trigger advice, like “looks like you’re photographing a flower. try to get photos of the leaves and stems as well,” which would be pretty cool.

But I also think that, realistically, the majority of people aren’t going to be taking 6-7 photos of a plant. I’ve been using iNat for nearly 12 years now and I personally don’t have that kind of patience, it would make each hike feel like a homework assignment. And for many people, just learning that the plant they came across is in the legume family, or that the spider they found is not a brown recluse is educational and helpful.

23 Likes