Anyone have some bugs they want to DNA barcode?

Let us know when you open up submissions again. I won’t have any galls to send until fall.

1 Like

I’m curious as well! I am currently looking for places to send samples for sequencing (PCR product) and the cheapest I have been able to find is ~$5 CAD per sample for sequencing with 1 primer.

1 Like

I’m curious. Where is that? I’d consider it myself for sure.

The $5 cost is literally just for sequencing (doesn’t include extraction, PCR, checking sample concentration, etc.) and is offered by a molecular biology facility at the university I attend. Unfortunately the service is only available for research connected with the university.

An alternative with comparable prices that I’ve come across is Psomagen/Macrogen, particularly if you are sending samples in 96 well plate format. I haven’t sent samples to them before so can’t speak to the quality of the results, but Macrogen is cited frequently.

1 Like

May I DM you some real quick questions over on iNaturalist.org?

Sure!

I would love to hear more about your lab setup! This is a really neat idea and something I’ve thought about for a while but didn’t realize was possible outside of a major laboratory. This could be groundbreaking for taxa like Collembola that are largely poorly described or require advanced imaging to identify even to family/genus.

Does Caribbean rum count? Because that’s the only ethanol I could get in the Dominican Republic. I was using it in a study of the incects (and mites) of Guazuma ulmifolia.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.