Are there any species found on every continent INCLUDING Antarctica?

Unfortunately this is increasingly the response to many issues or concerns , and we still don’t know enough about so many places to begin to even have local strategies.

2 Likes

Rhizocarpon geographicum (I just checked on iNat) and probably other lichens

2 Likes

Several springtail species are highly cosmopolitan, and have been recorded regularly on every continent including Antartica. Isotoma viridis is one that comes to mind (though note that iNat distribution data is extremely incomplete, owing to the small number of springtail observers and even smaller number of people who are able to ID them to species on iNat). I think many hypogasturids (or snow fleas) also have been recorded globally. There’s almost certainly many more that are truly, globally cosmopolitan that have simply not been officially recorded to species.

1 Like

R. geographicum is a name used broadly for a species complex.
(4) (PDF) Type studies in the Rhizocarpon geographicum group (Rhizocarpaceae, lichenized Ascomycota) (researchgate.net)

1 Like

This is certainly in spirit of the question although (and please permit me to engage in a bit of “uhm, actually…” here) tardigrades aren’t a species but a phylum, on the same level of chordates. Then again, two tardigrades look an awful lot more similar than a bird and a mammal…

EDIT: Shoot, everyone else has already made this correction. Sorry mate, I’m sure you’ve heard it enough by now.

1 Like

Sorry, but I took this as permission to read the rest of the reply in my Redditor "well actually :nerd_face: " voice.

1 Like

Feel free. We all need to step back and stop taking ourselves so seriously every once in a while.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.