What's that animal that you'd love to see but lives in another continent?

Well, I’m from Argentina :argentina: and this country has some really nice animals that I get to see almost every day. There are also invasive species that you’d probably never heard of: chital, wild boar, mule deer, etc.

Since I’m very young, I’ve loved the African savannah; lions, hyenas, rhinos, antelopes, dik-diks, crocs, secretary birds and many more. But there is an animal that lives there and has always been my favourite: the elephant. So, that’s basically the animal that I’d like to see but lives in another continent.

Now, it’s your turn!

7 Likes

oooff! Tough one. I guess maybe a Pallas Cat in the Himalayas.
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/42029-Otocolobus-manul

6 Likes

Gorilla

3 Likes

Any hornbill species really, I’m not fussy. Or a Green Broadbill.

4 Likes

Since they live high in our mountains I won’t see them. But. The ‘legendary’ sambar would be startling to see in life.

(Escaped from Cecil John Rhodes’ private zoo, with Himalayan tahr) Now we have restored klipspringer to our mountains.

3 Likes

These beautiful birds and mammals:
White Woodpecker
Arabian Oryx
Dama Gazelle
Bontbok
Carmine Bee-eater
Torrent Duck
Regent Bowerbird
But really, any ungulate with high contrast, white and short hair, they just look unreal and very elegant, I love it.

6 Likes

Erm…penguins! Pandas too…but until recently, I think China did loan them out to us.

4 Likes

Lol, such an easy answer for me. We do have penguins in zoos here in the USA, but I would really like to see them out in the wild. Maybe even brave the tough colds of Antarctica for it.

3 Likes

I do hope to get to go to Antarctica to watch penguins. Especially before the continent melts so fast that it may become impossible to visit the place due to dangerous weather conditions and sea levels

2 Likes

One I’d love to be able to observe in my own backyard: hedgehog. They used to be regular nighttime visitors to our yard in Germany and I think they’re adorable. Alas they do not occur in North America.

5 Likes

It would be absolutely fantastic to see and capture in picture a cloud leopard in the wild. I did a long trek in Thailand years ago to try and find them but was unsuccessful. What an enigmatic and gorgeous kitty.

Note: picture is from internet.

5 Likes

Invertebrate:
Ringed Tortoise Beetle

Bird:
Inaccessible Island Rail

Reptile:
Sahara Sand Viper

Amphibian:
Red-eyed Treefrog

Mammal:
Eastern Spotted Skunk (oops, this one lives not only on my continent, but in my area)

7 Likes

Easy answer - all of them! It always astounds me how many beings exist that I have never even heard of before.

4 Likes

Strangely enough, the only wild penguin I’ve seen was in the Galapagos - evidently they aren’t all confined to Antartica. A little closer to home!

https://galapagosconservation.org.uk/wildlife/galapagos-penguin/

2 Likes

I live in NE Ohio, U.S.A.
I would like to see a Southern Cassowary in North Queensland, Australia.

Closer to home: I have been to the western U.S. and Canada to visit some of the national parks. I was hoping for a grizzly bear. No luck. But, I can’t complain. I got to hike in some beautiful places.

But, there are species here in Ohio that I would like to see in the wild. A bobcat or a gray fox would be fantastic! They are nocturnal and very elusive.

2 Likes

Yeah - I agree. There are all sorts of cool things out there and not just animals. I’d like to stand next to a big tree anywhere. I’ve seen the sequoias and redwoods. But, I’d visit them again.

2 Likes

New Zealand is a great place to see penguins in the wild. 9 species on iNat. And it’s much easier traveling than Antarctica.

6 Likes

All of them! As an amateur generalist, I ultimately will be delighted with each and every organism I can possibly encounter and observe.

If I got to pick one, though, I’m sure it would be a velvet worm. Such odd and fascinating creatures.

6 Likes

Platypus! It won’t seem real until I see it with my own eyes, lol

5 Likes

For me it would probably be anything and everything.

2 Likes