Are there too many new observations to identify?

Yes, I agree with this. I’m not sure how many people are aware that iNat observations can become research grade without a species id (by clicking that the id “it’s as good as it can be” in DQA).

Oh, that’s great. I do often do what @sedgequeen suggests. There are advantages to working through one species or genus but for me that’s a bit haphazard as there are lots of things I’ll forget about.

Suggestion for anyone else doing this: if you’re adding a species which doesn’t have any close relatives (or close relatives in the geographical area you’ll be looking at) then go a step or two up the taxonomic tree. e.g. in the UK add “Hedgehogs” rather than “European Hedgehog” (our only species) so you pick up misidentifications & genus level ids.

6 Likes

I echo @whaichi on this: setting the locations to private has a huge influence. It makes it much harder/less likely for likely identifiers to find your observations. Going to your profile now I see 9/10 are research grade… I guess this post did the trick :)

2 Likes

Yes, I agree with this. I’m not sure how many people are aware that iNat observations can become research grade without a species id (by clicking that the id “it’s as good as it can be” in DQA).

I had no idea you could do this. Such a useful tip for cases where genetic evidence is necessary to get to species level.

5 Likes

You can bookmark this page, which has some copy-paste text you can use to ask new users to do things like add a coarse ID.

https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/responses

The ‘text blaze’ extension on Chrome can be used as a way of giving “frequent responses” with a few key strokes

(e.g. typing “/date” for me --> Hi - the observation date (date you took the photo) has gone missing from this record, could you add it please? More people will then see the record for possible identification )

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m using Text Expander to do the same thing, it’s been so helpful!

3 Likes

This is a genius idea. While I use Safari instead of Chrome, the same idea works by going to System Preferences → Keyboard → Text, then adding a bunch of frequently used responses.

1 Like

Per @zabdiel
Double quote on @Sedgequeen:” The one serious problem I see with not getting things identified quickly: discouraging beginners”

I think that is a pretty strong argument.

Still, as a very naive beginning user of the iPhone app, I was rather ~surprised~ to find other people ~could~ and ~might want to~ ID my photos. It never occurred to me I was doing anything other than feeding my pic into a nameless, uncaring database. And, I was fine with that… it was citizen science!

Of course, now it is so much more interesting to see the evolution of a nameless little bug making it, with luck, to species. Or, even Family.

I remember one of my first obs was a mosquito with (I thought) extra long legs. Months later, I was pretty tickled to learn it was a “Culex” !!! Whew! Imagine that! A culex! And I here I was just thinking it was a weird looking mosquito.” :crazy_face:

5 Likes

This thread is one of the reasons I do more IDing than observing.

And I agree with the WrOP, in that people can get discouraged and leave. Before I discovered iNat, I was looking for a way to learn some Caribbean plants. I found a website that was specifically for that; but in several pages of photos, all were unidentified – it appeared that the only users were observers, not identifiers. Not useful as a learning tool, and I didn’t go back.

At this stage in my life, I’m just more interested in IDing than uploading observations.

4 Likes