Bird foraging time in the Midwest United States

Lately, I’ve notice that birds usually come out to look for food during late/early mornings, usually between 9-10am. I live in the midwestern U.S, was wondering why most birds I see come looking for food during this time?

Birds have high metabolisms and most species only forage during the day. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day for birds, because they’ve just had a long overnight fast.

In the winter, late morning is likely more productive for foraging than early morning because insects won’t be very active until the sun is up for a bit, and the sun is at a better angle to see small seeds on the ground.

2 Likes

I edited the title to make it a bit more specific.

I’ve found birds in winter come in two rounds. In the coldest weather, some are there early to stock up. Then, as conditions warm, you get the second round.

Unless you live in an area where there are almost no insects active in winter, in which case birds are just kind of active whenever in that season.

Yes, there is a lot of nuance to a relatively broad question. And I agree, even here in GA, birds are less tied to mornings in the winter than they are in the spring, summer, and fall.

That being said, I think people seldom realize that insects can still be active even during the winter in very northern latitudes. Though the insects start moving even later in the day there. Virginia likely isn’t “north” from your standpoint, but I was very surprised to find these American Winter Ants tending to White Pine Aphids during a relatively cold winter locally.

2 Likes

Yes, there certainly is some insect activity here in Wisconsin in winter, but it’s very limited and doesn’t really have any impact on bird activity in any meaningful way.

And you’re right, Virginia is not north for me at all. ;)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.