Blocked by a user inexplicably

When you change their ID, do you explain why it’s not what they suggested? If not, they might have decided, if you just changed ALL their IDs without explanation, and more than once, that you’re just being mean.

Here’s what I wrote for an incorrect ID that i couldn’t correct past Dicots:

“Green Mistletoe is a parasite of hardwood trees in Australia and nearby islands. It isn’t found in North America. The computer vision suggestions can be very good for a lot of species, but not so good on others… This seems to be one of those it struggles with. It’s a good idea to keep in mind that the suggestions can sometimes be way off, so check the images and maps. This is a common mistake. I occasionally go thru observations of Green Mistletoe to re-identify those from North America.

This looks like a regular tree with lots of green lichen on the branches. I’ve identified this observation at a high level so people with more experienced with plant species in that location might see it.

I don’t see any of the North American mistletoe species in the photo, but if there were, they are in different genera than Ileostylus.“

10 Likes