Book Title Challenge

I am not sure if this is the right place for this post.
Is there a specific forum about books?
I am looking for the title of a book that I would like to read. I don’t remember the name of the author or publishing house. It’s about the relationship between animals and humans from a cultural/sociological point of view. It talks about how animals are portrayed in fairy tales. I borrowed this book from a library probably in 1990s. I vaguely remember its cover: light sand color with a 19-century image of a large mammal (rhino?) I did an online search and was not able to find it.
Any guesses?

1 Like

My God! As soon I posted this post and switched the computer off something clicked in my head…I think I guessed the title of the book…

The Others: How Animals Made Us Humans by Paul Shepard, Island Press, 1997

6 Likes

Happens to me all the time! I find rum to be the best way to switch off, and then I remember everything!.. or maybe I just forget the question… ;)

5 Likes

i think sometimes, asking for help is the best way to get what you need, not because other people can help you, but because as soon as you ask, suddenly it comes to you

3 Likes

Judging from your description I thought you meant this one " The Boilerplate Rhino: Nature in the Eye of the Beholder" by David Quammen :-) … good read as well, although I was even more impressed by some of his other books. “Song of the Dodo” is my all time non-fiction favourite and “monsters of god” gives a lot food for thought.

4 Likes

I had been racking my brain in the attempt to remember more details about the book for months!

Thank you for those titles. I will check them out! :sun_with_face:

Quammen is the best! “Song of the Dodo” is also my all-time nonfiction favorite book. Another particularly relevant one of his for these times is “Spillover”, about zoonotic diseases.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.