Butter as destroyer of tropical forests

Kerrygold is sold as soft and spreadable.
Don’t know, how or why, it is, spreadable.

Our usual South African butter is rock hard from the fridge.

Haven’t actually eaten butter for years.

PS the paywall issue may simply be a ‘not available in your country’ issue.

1 Like

Well the fat isn’t thrown away, it’s used to make butter (among other things).

Presumably when it’s at room temperature? As noted in the original article, the issue is that butter from cows fed palm oil is hard even when warm.

When I bought Kerrygold, years ago, when extended family came to lunch - it was sold in a tub, like margarine.Chosen for their convenience. Then it sat in my fridge … forever.

They say - secret is our unique churning
https://kerrygold.com/products/kerrygold-naturally-softer-irish-butter/

Peanuts are so abundant here in South Carolina I take them for granted. It is not uncommon to find peanut plants growing in the lawn not far from bird feeders. Squirrels prefer biodiverse yards. :smile:
Many of the grocery stores here have grind your own peanut butter. Don’t even think about eating peanut butter pie unless you plan on hiking afterwards to work off the calories.

1 Like

What is interesting roasted peanuts and ones in coconut glaze are among the most common snacks, but somehow butter isn’t! But I guess boiled condensed milk is a sweet brown substance that replaces it and I’m not sad about it. :laughing:

2 Likes

I feel better for you now. :relaxed: One thing I really enjoy about foreign travel is going to whatever the local grocery is and seeing familiar foods in unfamiliar forms. Fun!

4 Likes

:peanuts: Peanut butter is not sweet unless you add a sweetener. I imagine it would make quite a wonderful candy or pie with your brown sweetened condensed milk, though. :yum:

3 Likes

Interesting! Need to buy it really and finally try!
Google says you’re right, but most common are “nuts” and waffle tubes with it, of course after eating straight from the can. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

That looks more like caramel (sweet) than peanut butter (nutty ish)

1 Like

Maybe, I was referring to colour more, is there a caramel with similar texture? For me it’s either sweets or “lollipop” cockerels and it is very viscous when in “fluid” form, it’s just sugar, while milk is far from that.

We can buy caramel in a tin - boiled sweetened condensed milk.
Peanut butter is a slightly different colour - a little more towards mustard or tan.

Ah, I googled it, why is it called caramel then? Caramel is just sugar and water. Maybe because of toffee that has both caramel and milk?
Now I think of hematogen, the moment when somebody tells you it’s made of cow’s blood.

This looks and sounds a lot like cajeta, which is very good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajeta

Oh, yeah, Wikipedia says it’s generally the same type of thing!

1 Like

This article probably isn’t going to make anyone happy: https://www.foodingredientsfirst.com/news/palm-oil-report-alternatives-to-the-controversial-crop-would-be-even-worse.html

1 Like

Thanks. I think this is the IUCN report it references, which articulates some of the points made by @kmagnacca earlier. I think it actually understates the complexity and general intractability of some of the issues. I’ll just reiterate that the point of the original post was not about palm oil per se but the problem of knowing what you’re consuming when even whole cow’s milk isn’t what it used to be.

I have arguments with engineer types from time to time who tell me that tech will save us. This is an article of faith premised on a serious misunderstanding of the problem and the processes that created it. The math is pretty clear that if humanity doesn’t find a way to consume less of the resource base on which we depend we are headed for a bleak future where bad things will happen. That means we need a path to less consumption or fewer people. The Green Revolution was based on technology and fertilizer production, especially fertilizer made from natural gas. It vastly increased agricultural production by increasing unit productivity. There is nothing on the horizon that offers a similar development. Any increase in food production is going to be a gross production solution. Unless we start building urban high-rise or ocean agriculture systems we’re going to run out of arable land, full stop, whether it’s for edible oil or anything else unless population and economic expansion cease. As land becomes limiting and food prices rise these other options may become economically viable but they will still require massive amounts of fresh water, fertilizer and light. In most of the solutions that have been proposed much of the light is electrically generated, which raises a bunch of other questions.

I would add that the IUCN has a history of seeking solutions to complex environmental problems in sustainable use or wise use models. Many of the problems with documents like the IUCN report are shared by a lot of the climate change economic and social scenarios you see floated. The arguments that best lay bare the extremity of the challenges we confront are summarized in a couple of pithy articles about climate change politics by William E. Rees: Part 1 and Part 2. I don’t agree with every specific point but the overarching theme is bang on and it can be applied to a bunch of environmental issues, including tropical forest destruction.

Anyway, I was just crabby about the butter.

EDITED TO ADD:

Maybe some of that will cheer me up.

2 Likes

I use the word caramel for a spread of made of heated sugar and milk/cream. The stuff without milk would be butterscotch. I’m in California.

Edit: Wikipedia yells me butterscotch has butter in it. So I guess I never thought about what sugar and water is called.

2 Likes

That’s a milk caramel.

Which I guess brings us back full circle to the whole palm oil thing… :palm_tree:

2 Likes

Syrup?

1 Like