Changes to Observations Page for Members

There has, I suspect, been a change to the format on member’s observations pages. It used to be a simple list that showed all their observations, with details of where, and whether it had been IDed or not. Now it pulls up a map with annoying pop-ups, and applies any filters that you happen to use on your personal preferred locations, etc. - which may negate observations on another person’s observations page, unless you remove your filters. Is there anyway I can go back to the simple page that does not include a map & my filters applied? :)

There is always an automatic filter for verifiable, but that’s all.

3 Likes

Ah! Thanks, that’s much better - still applies my filters, but at least my ADHD is not being bombarded by all the pop-ups on the map…lolz

2 Likes

I agree about those automatic map pop-ups. I like being able to click on a map observation and see the pop-up, but when they automatically appear, it takes cognitive overhead and real clicks to work around. I’d like to be able to turn that off somehow.

4 Likes

Your geographic restriction will also apply, if you have one set. Which is totally odd. Very disconcerting to be reading someone’s profile, see it says “502 observations,” but then when you click on it they have… none? What?

2 Likes

hopefully fixed soon!

4 Likes

Thing is I don’t have that filter set for my own observations and I remember someone mentioning that new link has it but it wasn’t intentional? Is it possible to make a place filter constant? I don’t quite understand what steps to do to recreate place filtering, I try and even the other page with my own obs lacks it. Or is it one that is set on a taxon page? That would be odd though.

1 Like

I have had mine on for so long, I can’t remember how I originally set it. I will try to look for the setting.

1 Like

Found it! I overlooked it the first time, so good thing I double-checked.

2 Likes

Ah! Never tried using this, thank you!

If I understand the map issue, you could open Edit Observations from your Home page instead of Observations. That’s a simple list with an accompanying smaller map in the sidebar.

The filters being applied when you open another user’s page is annoying for sure.

1 Like

Same here…and this is what it automatically applies when I look at another person’s observations page.
IN

For people interested in tracking the other issue, with regard to default places limiting views of other users’ lists of observations, see https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/users-observations-link-missing-verifiable-any-and-place-any/16648/3

2 Likes

I don’t have any issues with looking at my own observations, it’s when I look at a person’s profile, and click on their observations - that’s where things go wrong. :)

1 Like

OK. I’m not too worked up about the map but going to the page of somebody in South Africa and having my filter for northern Ontario applied to it is certainly an annoyance.

6 Likes

I don’t have any place filters, but it does the verifiable filter for me too, and I find it very annoying.

1 Like

Exactly. The map pop-ups are just my personal peccadillo, but having my regional filters applied to an individual member’s profile when I view it, is quite frustrating.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.