Changes to the Agree button/functionality and addition of Markdown in comments and ID Remarks

When I was fairly new to iNaturalist, I was trying to improve my efficiency and found that thumbnail agree option. What a disaster! I thought I was seeing things well enough, but I know my ID quality went down. I don’t remember all of them, but I mistook a loon for some duck. It didn’t take long to quit that thumbnail fix. It took a lot longer to go back and look at what I had ID’d and clean up. That thumbnail page is a sucker’s bet.

5 Likes

I can’t stop laughing at this statement. Basic herd mentality.

2 Likes

That’s hilarious!

Tony, I’ve been seeing and using the new Markdown language in recent comments and posts, but I just noticed a possibly (new?) downside to this change. For years, I had been using the <i>text</i> format in comments and journal posts, particularly for italicizing scientific names. Now I’m seeing a few (random?) examples of where that previous formatting is being ignored. Neither is the included text italicized nor are those formatting characters showing up as a text string when rendered. Is that an intentional change? I haven’t gone back through my thousands of such items to see when this formatting is ignored, nor experimented in various editing windows to see if/when it still works.

1 Like

there’s an open bug report for that here https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/text-formatting-using-html-tags-does-not-display-correctly/16428/

4 Likes

Thanks, Cassi. I don’t often search or wander through the bug reports. I probably should.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.