Colombia - iNaturalist World Tour

We’re featuring on Colombia on the World Tour today.

Here’s the GADM Level 1 and Level 2 places we’re using. Again, my usual questions about whether these administrative units are correct and widely used.

One thing I’m curious about is how the Spanish translation and local names in Colombia. In theory, the system should accomodate Spanish language translation and local names specific to Colombia and distinct from other Spanish speaking countries like Mexico. But is this happening in practice? If not, what are the main issues?

What else could we do to make iNaturalist bigger and better in Colombia?

1 Like

I wonder if it would be possible to convince ecolodge owners etc. that regularly posting observations to iNat would be beneficial. It would both show the biodiversity on their property to potential ecotourists who are browsing on iNat, and be helping document the important but not-well-enough-known biodiversity of South America.

4 Likes

The provinces of Boyaca, Colombia are missing. Because it is in the department where I am now, it would be quite helpful if all these provinces were in INaturalist.
Here is a list of the provinces:
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provincias_de_Boyacá#Provincias

1 Like

Saludos. Soy nuevo en iNaturalist. Sin embargo desde el año 2011 vengo trabajndo e investigando mucho de la Biodiversidad sobre todo del departamento del Vichada, ubicado en la cuenca del Orinoco y uno de los lugares mas ricos en Biodiversidad del pais, en lo que pueda colaborar con todo el gusto.

Saludos

1 Like

@loarie It has not been resolved yet

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Just noting here that I updated the Colombia municipality name from Don Matías to Donmatías at the request of @nicolasr. It was an error from GADM.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Issues with places have been transferred to flags. https://www.inaturalist.org/flags?flaggable_type=Place