Colonial repatriation of stolen scientific treasures?

I feel like this is a bit pedantic, but it’s pretty clear that both the terms “plunder” and “steal” which you object to clearly apply to the situation described in OPs original link. To argue against their applicability under generally accepted definitions seems strange, so I think it’s fair to refer back to the original post to make it clear that that terms are relevant, despite an assertion otherwise. To whit:

Oxford defines plunder as to “steal goods from (a place or person), typically using force and in a time of war or civil disorder” which applies to the taking of Dombey’s specimens from a French ship by the British during the Anglo-French War.

Oxford defines steal as to “take (another person’s property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it”. This applies to the taking of Dombey’s specimens without his permission which were not and have never been returned.

The Community Guidelines tell us to assume that people mean well, but implying that the OP intended to

does not meet that standard to me. The forum guidelines note that

so it’s ok to disagree with the ideas in other people’s posts, but please don’t cast aspersions against other forum members.

5 Likes