Community taxon is displaying higher rank than it should be

I don’t understand why these 2 ids of Carex somehow are interpreted by the system as Cyperaceae, if you disagree with the species but choose the same genus the overall id should be the genus, as both ids agree with the genus.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/48026943

Might be something that deactivating/reactivating would fix.

it should be carex according to the analysis…

1 Like

I got it to change to the genus level by adding and then removing a genus level ID (the community ID is now at genus level with the same two IDs as before). Not sure why that worked, but it was definitely wrong before.

I could see that there’s been a fair amount of curator activity (taxon merges) in the genus (though none since that observation has been posted).

So even the system itself counts genus level as 1, but still goes higher, that’s surprising.

I wonder, if after a taxon swap the re-evaluation of the CID is getting confused by the section level, perhaps the algorithm for it doesn’t allow for counting through the extra level? If that is the case then we should see this mostly happening where there are additional levels in the hierarchy, but while I have been seeing these reports of CID weirdness, I haven’t paid a lot of attention to what branches of the taxonomy are usually affected…

2 Likes

Since the algorithm appears to be working correctly, it’s presumably got to be some kind of disconnect between the output of the algorithm and the display of the CID. There were three taxonomic levels of disagreement (species, section, subgenus) and the CID was three levels above what it should have been (genus + tribe, subfamily, family), so maybe it’s counting back/up incorrectly?

1 Like

I have seen something similar happen with Carex lasiocarpa and a similar problem here:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/3296358

1 Like

Wow, that one is even weirder. No idea what is going on there.

1 Like

That’s another one with the extra taxa levels in the hierarchy… specifically “Carex Sect. Carex under Carex Subg. Carex”… it confuses me just trying to type it!!

As a test, I clicked “No, it’s as good as it can be” in the DQA. The “Community Taxon is precise” box checked, but the observation went casual (presumably due to the high community taxon). I then undid that and added another ID of C. lasiocarpa, which caused it to turn Research Grade. When I withdrew my identification, it stayed RG.

I found a probably similar case here: a moth was observed and labelled Lymantria dispar, then somebody disgreed and said genus Haploa, then the observer withdrew the initial ID. Now the website shows “unknown” as community taxon. I’d have expected either “Haploa” (since Lymantria was withdrawn) or “Erebidae” (the smallest group that contains both). Could someone explain what’s going on?

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/160968769

That’s probably because the user has opted out of the community ID, so when they withdraw their ID nothing displays (your ID shows up as a placeholder though). I’d add a comment and ask if that’s the case.

1 Like

Must have since Opted in. I added Lepidoptera, and it shows Genus and Needs ID, as expected.

1 Like