Create Separate Accounts for Students Assigned to Use iNaturalist

@jdmore It was only after I had been on the site for a while that I realized (and only after I started occasionally reading “real time discussions”) that there was a problem with people/kids adding IDs to each other’s observations without knowing what they were confirming. Until then, I was under the impression that eventually IDs got sorted out and no harm was done. So, I’m guessing teachers see a user-friendly site students can practice on that is innovative (innovation is a big word in education as it is elsewhere) and potentially fun as well as educational. Unless they spend a lot of time here, how could teachers know that these lessons negatively impact the site? They use it and leave. People abandon accounts all over the internet everyday. So, yes, I think offering a teacher account with more training and explanations might be helpful. It never hurts if a site offers some downloadable curriculum, specific class activities, and a contact for questions. Even this new forum could help because it’s easily accessible, and teachers could be encouraged to come here and ask questions before they use the site with a class. Of course, there could also be much more about the negative impact of not overseeing student activity on the site. So, I guess I’m seconding the idea of more teacher training.

11 Likes