Current or general favorite field guides?

Two thumbs up so far. Plenty of delicious details about bursa numbers in female noctuids to wow all of your friends at the next cocktail party you attend. Obviously, I don’t get out much :joy:. Seriously, I’m a blossoming amateur (micro-)lepidopterist with no significant academic training and relatively new to the subject area. I find the book an excellent balance between heavy jargon or technical writing and a pleasant, captivating highly informational writing style. I’m half way through (doesn’t need to be read in order!!!) and I can already rattle off factoids and explain them to you. Beautiful photos and nice inclusion of globally common species along with neat rarities make this text both interesting and useful in the field or lab. Especially if you’re an improvising, wanna-be behavioral ecologist keen on solving mysteries like an overgrown Encyclopedia Brown.

Update: because of this thread my resource collection has happily increased. Spider books and NewcombThanks everyone so far for participating in a great thread.

6 Likes