Field Guide Recommendations - Grasslands of the Eastern/Southeastern U.S

Does anyone have any recommendations for field guides that cover grassland plants of the eastern/southeastern US? I’d like to get 1-2 books that have fairly good coverage of the graminoids and forbs (and maybe shrubs) typical of the habitat and region. Also, feel free to share relevant online resources as well.

not sure about field guides exactly, but Flora of the Southeastern United States (Weakley et al.) seems to be the most comprehensive set of plant keys that covers the entire Southeastern US. over at https://ncbg.unc.edu/2022/04/26/new-edition-released-flora-of-the-southeastern-u-s/, you can download an electronic copy for free, and there is an associated app and website, too.

2 Likes

Weakley’s flora is probably the most comprehensive set of keys there is. I also like the plant lists in Spira’s Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont. It focuses on communities and lists the most common species for each ecosystem. That has helped me identify some plants that were obviously common in a certain environment but hard to find in other books. Most of it is about the different forest types but it does contain a section on grassy balds - not sure if that’s the kind of grassland you’re looking for.

If you’re interested in grasslands, I’m sure you are probably already aware of the Southeastern Grasslands Initiative.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.