Current or general favorite field guides?

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum, @daffydork :)

2 Likes

thanks! @trh_blue

1 Like

Welcome @daffydork! Do you know, by chance, how much those guides cost?

1 Like

My favorite is FIELD GUIDE TO INSECTS AND SPIDERS OF NORTH AMERICA (2008) by Arthur V. Evans (trademark: National Wildlife Federation).

This field guide has high quality photos, and good descriptions, as well as the range, feeding habits, methods of self defense, and where the different arthropods are often found. It also includes information on reproduction and other information about a species.
The book has diagrams in the front, a map in the far back, and a waterproof cover (though it’s probably only water resistant).
It also describes how to make a insect or spider collection, or to take care of arthropods in the back of the book. It even has a how-to guide on macro photography at the end! It has tips on finding and studying arthropods too. This guide has over 940 arthropod species and is light weight.
The only con for me is the fact that not all the insects or other arthropods I’m trying to identify, but I usually find what I’m looking for.

1 Like

I coincidentally stayed at the Big Creek reserve the same time as Arthur Evans a few years ago, he was researching his upcoming beetles of western north america book. A very nice guy and he let us moth at his light. :-)

4 Likes

FIELD GUIDE TO INSECTS AND SPIDERS OF NORTH AMERICA ____($9.00 - $18.00)
BIRDS SONGS BIBLE ______________________________________($100.oo - $350.oo)
Birds of Pennsylvania field guide ________________________________($5.00 - $15.00)
THE ULTAMATE GUIDE TO BUTTERFLIES AND MOTHS _____________($5.00 - $15.00)
Wildflowers (Northeastern / North-central North America _____________ ? ($10.00-$20.00)
Peterson First Guide to Wildflowers __________________________________( $5.00 )
Pond Life _____________________________________________________($3.00 - $6.00)

2 Likes

Cool! Out of all the field guides I have, his FIELD GUIDE TO INSECTS AND SPIDERS OF NORTH AMERICA is my favorite! I lucked out when I found it at a garage sale.

1 Like

Thanks! Why does the BIRDS SONG BIBLE cost so much? Ah…It is partially electronic? Fascinating.

1 Like

Wow, the Golden Guide to Pond Life is still in print! I still have mine from when I was a kid! The cover looks totally different from your picture.

3 Likes

It also says that the Birds Song Bible has all the types of birds in North America, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

A potential substitute for the Birds Song Bible would be the iBird Pro app. And you can download everything for offline use (most of my field sites have lousy connections). It takes up quite a bit of space on your device but you can have a field guide with audio on your phone or tablet. I always have my phone so it’s a handy way to check an unfamiliar song or sighting.

The Cornell All About Birds website https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/browse is good for songs/calls. Or the Macaulay Library http://macaulaylibrary.org/ if you want a full raw collection of the variation out there.

5 Likes

One app I have, is Bird Net. You record bird calls with it, and the app tells you what it is. Most of the time, it’s spot on! After that, you can save the recording, and put it on iNat!

2 Likes

lately, i’ve been taking photos of really distant birds in flight as they’ve been migrating through the area, and i came across this Ducks at a Distance guide (https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Ducks%20at%20a%20Distance.pdf), which has been helpful for identification of (distant) ducks in flight.

2 Likes

Here is all my field guides:

Four does seem like quite a small number but they make it up with quality, “quality over quantity” it seems ;)

6 Likes

the merlin app also has sets of recordings in the id info (from macaulay)