Default Obscure Account Settings?—iNaturalist User Safety

yes, and let me just clarify it a bit, since it suspect it has been interpreted in way that is different from what i intended. my statement there is not meant to address the “position of privilege to freedom and security” comment. it only affirms the OP’s reading of the staff position on default geoprivacy functionality and then attempts to state that if the need to protect user safety / privacy is extremely high, then the safest / most private option is to avoid posting at all, though of course it is up to the observer to determine their tolerance for risk and act accordingly.

i thought it was worth pointing this out because as i have noted elsewhere many times, i think users of the system may put too much faith in the ability of the geoprivacy functionality in the system to protect their locations. it’s better than nothing, but i do not trust it to protect my own personal safety / privacy, and i don’t think it should be the first option for most people to protect their safety / privacy either.

7 Likes