iNat apprehension from land managers

i’ll refer you all to iNaturalist’s privacy policy: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/privacy. it says explicitly: “If You do not wish to have the time, date, place, or other identifying information of an Observation included on iNaturalist, You should not post an Observation.” note that the policy does not say that if you do not want to have place included in iNaturalist, you should use obscured geoprivacy. so i don’t fault any land manager for practicing exactly what iNaturalist’s policy advises.

the policy also goes on to say: “Unfortunately, We cannot guarantee that data transmitted over the Internet will always be secure. As a result, although We strive to protect Your Personal Information, We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information You transmit or We may learn as a result of Your use of iNaturalist and You do so at Your own risk.”

who knows what people are willing to do? and who says that finding true coordinates for an obscured observation is necessarily difficult or that it requires a hack in the way that most people think of a hack?

if your photos include GPS metatdata, you need to be careful because your method does not change the GPS coordinates loaded with the photo. (so you’d need to strip out the GPS metadata before loading the photo.) you should also consider what tangatawhenua has to say.

i think this is the 3rd best way. the best way is to not post in the first place. the 2nd best way is to do what m0liveray is talking about (plus additional safeguards described by tangatawhenua), as long as you account for potential GPS metadata, too.