Digital Negative images useful?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

A number of my images have a corresponding Digital Negative (.dng) raw
camera output. Usually these images exceed the upload limit.

Are these additional images useful for iNaturalist? If so, what are the
best practices for size reduction?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

wlcDBQFfYaOL8JW2Cu4fskcRCA+vAP0SvQlAi5iMDuOT3kVOjsTCKSN3stI+KHEl
SvNKXr7wgQD+MKUw/+dlIiPbED/Q/DYIm+Y6UMef8+Og/FxG/c5pvio=
=iwke
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

You have to process the DNG files to jpeg with some of converters (RawTherapee, Lightroom and so on).

3 Likes

It will help in Lightroom (or other converter) to reduce the size to 2024 x 2024 or as close to a square with the widest 2024 px. Larger images are automatically reduced to the widest 2024. And in most cases there are no issues. In extreme landscape (or portrait) format the reduction will be too much to fit the 2024 and the image quality is noticeably poor. I have seen some that was impossible to ID. In addition when looking at the thumbnail, in the gallery, the subject has completely disappeared from view. Reducing the image size to 2024 x 2024 provide the best possible control over the quality of the picture and it is presumably faster uploaded.

3 Likes

Yes, what @kildor and @robertarcher397 said. Also, instead of reducing the dimensions of the whole image, it’s often more helpful to crop the image to the species you’re identifying (or wanting identified).

2 Likes

No. iNat doesn’t support DNG files, or any raw fomat.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Thank you all.

I have been migrating to Adobe software so this in convent for multimedia
so this is convenient.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

wlcDBQFfZBR+8JW2Cu4fskcRCN9EAP9JZyxGCzXjqI18rKDeNlFic7hrCuHEKooA
s2KMN/S2vwD/QyuQzFcPgv2eFMQJnffuh2FFYKKIP91k/KKLrDQ9GTM=
=bloR
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.