Does anyone else get bothered by how many observations are marked as "unknown species"?

most of who bother me are when a bunch of students upload a ton of unknowns, often from gardens where the sign in the image has the species on it (and not always native, because, garden!). They seem to go in groups so you get 10 photos of the same tree all uploaded as unknown by different accounts. Repeat ad nauseum. It adds up fast and can sometimes be hundred or more unknowns since so many students upload the same one.

I know a few professors, and they have projects so they can keep tabs on their students which is great because then too if there is a student causing issues (I’ve run into a few mouthy ones, a few who refuse to do any work to ID continually leaving it on unknown because “thats your job not mine(students)” even after that nice onboarding message of iNat replies, etc) there is someone to let know, and the issue stops.

But a LOT I see for my state - both high school and college level courses -using iNat with their students who don’t do any of that…I just wish they did a better job onboarding their students; that there was a way to figure out who was the teacher (maybe the teacher/prof doesn’t even know how it works?); something.

If I get too annoyed I end up just saying ‘reviewed’ to the whole page to make it go away. I can only do so many hundreds of unknowns that are botanical garden plants, or easy things like squirrels, deer, and chipmucks before I am just Done with capital D, haha.

The random new user having unknowns I understand; especially as someone who downloaded the ap to try it and could not get it to work well, and will continue to only use the website! It’s these huge groups of students making massive bulk unknown uploads that annoy me because they could and really should know better (if their teach/prof onboarded them right, which I don’t think is occurring in many cases).

7 Likes