Encountering and dealing with unfriendly people while iNatting

Weirdly I seem to often have the opposite experience, and it causes me anxiety trying not to. It hasnt happened in years since I no longer tend to spend time in cities/subburbia, but there has been times I have been walking down the street and had someone walking the other way cross the road, walk for a bit on the other side, then cross back after passing. I try to come off as non intimidating, but I get it. I am a biggish (188cm / 6’2) guy.

Generally when inating I am either off track in the bush, or looking at night on tracks well away from houses, so tend not to encounter many people. But if I do see someone approaching if I am looking at stuff on a track during day, I always pre-emptively give a “Nice day for it” or similar, to try and prevent any creep vibes, and if they ask why I am doing, often try to use it as a lesson if they are interesting in learning anything about nature. But I am a massive believer in driving interest through experience, so if that encounter encourages them to look closer at things, and feel for nature, thats awesome, and if not, well thats fine too.

I do very much appreciate the privilege I have as a larger guy to not have to fear (generally, because I cant say it hasnt happened) guys trying to pick me up.

9 Likes