First of all, please forgive me if I’m not fully able to explain myself. I learned to use the API just last week with help from @pisum . Once I’ve got a better grip on the issue I may fill out a proper bug report.
I’m using https://api.inaturalist.org/v1/docs/#!/Identifications/get_identifications_identifiers
tiwane helped me export the list of Forum users who had voted to sign up for the ID-a-thon. I copied the list directly into
user_login, and for the most part got my expected result.
There were a few discrepancies.
One user was not returned, and had zero IDs. I don’t know if this is a bug, but I would have expected their data to be returned with the result for
count as zero, or an error message of some sort.
Three users’ data were returned correctly, but the name attached to the data has been changed: e.g. I input
aastone and got back results for
abigstone who does appear to be the same person. I had to do a manual search to figure this out, because the original input was not reflected anywhere in the resulting JSON. Again, not necessarily a bug, but confusing.
Three users’ data were not returned at all, though I was able to find the users on iNat through manual search. There was no error message. The commonality between these three was that their Forum username (which I copied exactly into the API endpoint) was capitalized – e.g.
Oliverc29. As I did not find instructions that the login names must be all in lowercase, either this should be clearly explained on the page, or this is a bug.
I end this with a minor, unrelated plea: if your Forum username is different from your iNat login name, please link to your profile from the Forum and/or provide some other way to easily link between the two accounts. Please and thank you. You’re giving me headaches and the ID-a-thon hasn’t even started yet.