Established Users: How did you Find iNaturalist?

This poll is for anyone who’s been using iNat for more than a few months so far, casual or ‘power’ users both. Please check the option that best represents the way you found out about iNaturalist. If i forgot a big one, let me know, i’ll add it.

• News Article or Social Media
  • Learned About from Friend/Peer
  • Recruited for Citizen Science Effort
  • Class Assignment/Curriculum
  • Bioblitz/Contest/City Nature Challenge
  • Search Engine
  • Saw Featured App/Ad
  • Other

0 voters

8 Likes

Dang, you can’t change your vote if you click the wrong one…??

1 Like

oof. i can repost. i tried to delete what you voted for and repost it but that didn’t work.

Welp, maybe too late (NOT via a bioblitz/contest/CNC). Pretty sure I found it by googling, but I honestly can’t remember since it was so long ago.

5 Likes

I just changed my mistake. After voting mistakenly, I hit “hide results” and then voted for the correct one, and it took my incorrect vote off.

9 Likes

Great, thanks for the tip!!

3 Likes

it was really long ago for me too but i am pretty sure i read about it somewhere. Well, we will mentally remove one point from the bioblitz. I was kinda wondering, what bioblitz they even had in your area before you were involved… haha

3 Likes

Through a bioblitz in my case, though a really exceptional one. I could easily have voted for multiple options, since this counts as being recruited for a citizen-science effort, and I was recruited by a friend/peer who had been trying to get me to use iNaturalist. But the bioblitz was the main reason I got started.

3 Likes

I think I was googling for a non-taxidermied photo of an African linsang.

4 Likes

I was basically looking for a broader eBird: one that I could record mammals. After much searching on Google, I found it and just went crazy.

7 Likes

Searching for butterfly websites/ butterfly sightings on Google.

3 Likes

Same for me, except substitute wildflowers for mammals.

5 Likes

Cullen Hanks saw a snake image of mine. Asked for it to be added to Herps of texas project. I had no idea what that was. Took about 3 or 4 months later before I really started being addicted.

Love this place and recruit for it when I meet new people.

3 Likes

To add a real response I was working on a grad school project back in 2011 about smartphone use in conservation. That idea largely itself coming from helping test the Whats Invasive app in 2009 which was a little like Inaturalist but where you could only add invasives specified in a project. Anyway while doing research I found project Noah and tried it but didn’t like it for a bunch of reasons (to each their own but it’s not for me). Then I found inat probably in an article? Wish I remembered. That was it and I’ve been an obsessive user ever since. It’s changed a lot! In both ways I like and ways I don’t but the community has grown and become amazing beyond what I imagined.

2 Likes

Well I found it only because you told me to post my photos!

4 Likes

To clarify a little, I was looking for an app. I noticed the app and tried it a couple of times, but never really figured it out. When I discovered the website maybe a year or more later, I started using iNaturalist regularly.

2 Likes

I think I might have heard about iNaturalist vaguely a couple times before, but I didn’t take a serious look at it until I saw this on facebook: http://mikeburrell.blogspot.com/2017/05/what-to-do-with-all-of-your-non-bird.html
As a birder I was already “collecting” species and recording observations with eBird and taking photos of cool bugs and herps I saw along the way, so it was perfect and I was sold right away.

4 Likes

Heard about it through a class I was taking to become a student volunteer at the LA Zoo. One of the presenters was a power-user and mentioned it in his presentation (he is a wildlife biologist) and I started using the app casually. Once I discovered the website and once the AI identification came out, I became completely addicted to using iNat.

5 Likes

I like your use of the poll here, @charlie. It’s nice to see the public results on the chart, in addition to the written explanations.

2 Likes

Definitely NPR in 2016–in fact, I found the article, which I still think is a good one:

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/08/06/488830352/the-app-that-aims-to-gamify-biology-has-amateurs-discovering-new-species

6 Likes