Extirpation of Schinus terebinthifolia

How do I effectively control S. t. using mechanical means? How can I grub out the roots of a young S. t. plant that is about 2-3 meters tall? Thanks

1 Like

Look for a sturdy and strong root uprooting or pulling tool on google.

1 Like

It is good that there are citizens interested in protecting the environment from invasive species. Anyway, usually the eradication of alien species should be carried out by institutions and not by willing citizens alone. This is because there could be risks for both who is doing the eradication and for the environment.
I suggest you to get in touch with a university or with the local office of the environment. They should know how to eradicate aliens.

2 Likes

I only add that iNaturalist could represent a tool to be used in aliens eradication actions

Hi @andyjones1, this forum is mainly to talk about iNaturalist. We do have a separate off topic category called Nature Talk, so I moved your post there.

Don’t know where you live but I’d consult your local agriculture department for guidance on control measures.

1 Like

I see you are in the San Diego area, so I would start with the UC Davis guide here: http://wric.ucdavis.edu/information/natural%20areas/wr_S/Schinus.pdf.

If you need more info, I believe every County in California has a weed control officer, who should be able to help, or contact your county agricultural extension office.

2 Likes

As a person who has done it, basically you keep digging. You dig up all the roots you can find, and then when missed ones show themselves by respouting, you do it again. And again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.