Fingers in photos

I have photos of me holding noseburn plant before I knew what it was. Shortly afterwards it felt like my hand had been stung by an insect.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/25845008

3 Likes

“You can start.” What, I wondered. Then I saw your photo. Wonderful! I’ll never take another bird photo without having my finger in it!!

2 Likes

Maybe a $5 note, which probably now has about the same value as a penny 20 years ago!

1 Like

I held enough alive ones, but it’s usually whole hand in a picture, rarely a finger touching healthy adult.)

1 Like

My left hand is well known east of the Susquehanna River. I do not use a phone, but rather a Canon G12. For a quick focus I use my hand which also shows relative size.

2 Likes

Must admit I have worried about accidentally showing my fingerprints too, though I try to use the back of my camera-free thumb for size comparison. Haven’t had any comments about it. I don’t understand why anyone would object, I think the benefit of a size comparison is obvious and thumbnails are always available and don’t make taking photos awkward as would a tape measure lol…

1 Like

I have also come across cases where the hand in the picture obscures other parts of a plant that I need to see.

I met a different kind of officious prig today. Made an ‘unknown’ ID in a group I don’t know and got a curt reply. Changed my ID, explained the reasoning, and they continued to lecture me on my mistake. I just said OK, and I hope that will be that!
At least the unknown got some acknowledgement, which was all I wanted.

5 Likes

Someone new who needs a reverse lecture about Why We Add a broad ID?

3 Likes

I got that once. I explained my reasoning (Unknown to Fungi; I don’t know fungi worth mentioning), but the observer was unhappy. The exchange haunted me for a couple days and kept me off IDing unknown fungi for some time.

4 Likes

Actually, I added a species level ID, which was stupid, but I thought the response was a bit over the top!

1 Like

I’ve had that too, with Tabanid flies. I think it is one of the reasons why I like to explain (teach) when I change an ID.

3 Likes

I use a single camera for the photos that I submit to iNaturalist. Its lens allows me to photograph both tiny flowers–e.g., a Scarlet Pimpernel–and birds–e.g., nesting Red-Shouldered Hawks–and animals that are 50 yards, or more, away.

I have found including my hand in the photos of some flowers allows me to capture their structures between blossom and stem. (As a non-expert, I don’t know the proper terms to use! :roll_eyes:) Some of these flowers are so small that I’m inclined to believe that a hand, in those cases, might also aid in identification by providing some sense of their sizes.

My purpose in supplying observations to iNaturalists is to have them identified. If an observation enables that ID, in my opinion it has served its purpose, regardless of whether hands or feet are included.

5 Likes

to @mamestraconfigurata and @lynnharper
I had a snarky one like that.
Was. Politely. Lost for words.
Then the botanist whose ID he wanted, explained kindly (in French which has been an extra learning curve for me). Diana is right, you left it at Unknown.

3 Likes

I don’t often include fingers in my photos. If I do, it’s usually to provide scale for an observation of a track, or if an insect happens to be sitting on my hand. I know hands aren’t the most accurate form of scale, but they seem better than nothing. I’m not really worried about fingerprint identification, but I generally use the back of my hand or finger, rather than the fingertip, anyway. I always include photos without my hand as well, unless I’m in a hurry and only have time for one picture. In general, I think it can be helpful for ID (although I don’t personally identify tracks or plants) and not a major detriment to the observation quality, especially if handless photos are also included.

5 Likes

As iNaturalist allows more than one photo - include a photo with the fingers and one without (e.g. trimmed) - in this way you satisfy everyone

6 Likes

One of my fellow botanist friends told me she can recognize some of my photos because she recognizes my hands. I don’t like being perceived, but sometimes you need to do this for the photo.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum. Always lots to discuss!

1 Like

I have used my finger as a reference for size in several of my photos. I only post wildflower photos. I think a dime or penny would be a more standard reference, though! (At least in the USA).

I do agree with you that you are trying to help in the identification of a thing; I suppose you could do 2 photos with/without the hand/finger/coin to appease the protesters…? (I wouldn’t! :grinning:)

3 Likes

A Canadian dime is about the size of a US dime, so it works for NA North of Mexico! Personally, I wouldn’t appease the protesters.

3 Likes