Fingers in photos

I saw a slide show many years ago in which there was a picture of a rather large tropical toad, and the photographer had put a plain-looking lens cap next to it for scale. Someone in the audience, focusing on the cap, asked, “Is that a frisbee?” We all laughed but suddenly that toad did look enormous.

Whatever object you use for scale, make sure it’s identifiable.

12 Likes

I completely agree with this.
My fingers usually only get involved if I’m on macro trying to focus on details that otherwise I’d need to stand on my head to get, such as the inside of a downwards hanging flower.
The Sharpie scale is a brilliant idea that I might pinch.
Mind you, a lot of upcoming photographs will be from the woodland I volunteer in. The scale would be obscured by muck

4 Likes

Let’s not start policing people’s bodies, even on something as minor as fingers.

One of my digits is a bit malformed. I try to keep it out of photos because I am self-conscious about it, but it’s on my nondominate hand; I obvivously prefer my dominant hand for manipulating the camera, so the other hand with the abnormal digit sometimes ends up in shots anyway. I’d feel even more self-conscious and bad about myself if someone told me my hand was too ugly to be part of an iNat photo.

13 Likes

I hope Jack’s comment was intended to be funny. iNat is not dancing to beauty blogger standards. (This silver surfer has never had a manicure - I have gardener’s hands)

11 Likes

I’ve got bent small (pinkie) fingers. I don’t know if it’s a genetic thing, or from the fact that I used to walk around with them crossed over my ring fingers, held in place by the middle finger. I did some odd things as a kid … Oddly, I don’t often get my hands in pictures. The lens I use can’t focus at that distance. But I think fingers or hands in photos is perfectly fine.

4 Likes

The older I get the more my body shows it, especially my hands. I’ve always been a maker, so various crafts have taken a curling/knuckle lumping toll. The smashing of my dominant forefinger was a game changer,too. I hate seeing my own hand, but always figured it once again, is serving my purpose and you guys probably don’t really notice. I haven’t spent time investigating the hands/fingers in other’s photos.

6 Likes

I’m gonna start taking pics of ground-hugging plants using my toes for scale. Maybe holding the plant between my toes. That would be different and add a little diversity to the botanical pics.

16 Likes

“Back in the day” I was barefoot all summer. Now I have sissy feet!That’s why I use my boot. Holding might be difficult and balance,an issue.
It would be different. I almost hope “no fingers id er” would find it!

3 Likes

Besides, I wouldn’t want to share my bunion!

3 Likes

I use my flat hands behind plants to give my phone a focus reference. Otherwise, many forbs are too difficult to get in focus.
I also occasionally use my hand for size reference.
Since iNats purpose is to ID, these hand intrusions seem logical to me.

9 Likes

I didn’t mean to offend anyone with non-ring model hands. I am aware of this because I have so many scars on my hands. My hands are often red, discolored from my day job, woodworking. My fingernails were rejected in an advertising photoshoot at a window company, because they were all damaged. At least I still have all ten, compared to my father and grandfather, who didn’t. (Life pro tip: Keep your hands out of a swing saw.) I find myself trying to get photos without my damaged fingers and scars showing.

10 Likes

You shouldn’t feel pressured! All fingers and nails are ok, and you know, if you want to make some artistic photos having a real working hand is a plus.

8 Likes

You, too, are a maker. We need to be proud of our first and best tools. I consider all the signs of aging my badges of honor. Not everyone gets here. I say let’s wear it well.

8 Likes

I mentioned above that I try to keep my hand out of photos for the same reason, but wouldn’t suggest others with the same feature as me do the same.

We should never force our insecurities onto others, which is what it seemed like you were suggesting when you listed the types of fingers that “shouldn’t be” in pics.

If that was not what you meant, than I apologize for misunderstanding.

5 Likes

Jack is also an exceedingly good woodworker (I know him in real life). Also better at IDing trees from their bark than I am.

5 Likes

As far as iNat goes, having fingers in a photo is not a problem and often one needs to hold a plant to get proper focus (or just to keep it still). Just a) don’t cause undue harm to the organism and b) don’t harm yourself.

10 Likes

I think hands that do physical work, and work in soil, are among the most beautiful.

7 Likes

Till date am still to become situationally aware of a hand or feet in a picture. Meaning I “don’t” see it because the object of the image has always been clear.

Except in this case - where it is extremely hard to avoid

3 Likes

LOL perhaps users who really like feet would like to advise us on what our feet should look like.

I kid, but hey, aged hands are a sign of wisdom. Scars, deformities, etc mean you have a story to tell and a vulnerability to share, if you wish — many people love that in another person. Dirty hands mean you’re adventurous, or perhaps a gold-digger.

On a more serious note, some animal-track enthusiasts use these:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/99570605

2 Likes

I wonder why this person hasn’t been booted? That’s a lot of posts of the same person!