Fingers in photos

In other words, fingers that someone actually used while out observing. Sorry, but I disagree.

7 Likes

I know at least one person with a ruler tattoo. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/106054813

3 Likes

Needs recalibrating on a regular basis? Ouch!!

2 Likes

Heā€™s one of the people I was mentioning

Just flipped through the taxon photo browser and there are some, and a decent amount of poison ivy being held; Iā€™m much more impressed by the handful of pictures of stinging nettles being held with bare hands. I myself got a photo of me holding tree spinach, which was regrettable.

6 Likes

I know someone who routinely picks stinging nettles bare-handed. He says it used to hurt, but now heā€™s immune and it doesnā€™t bother him.

7 Likes

u have to use your hands to show plants and mushrooms to get all the features in the observation that u need. otherwise it would be VERY HARD to show all the details.

5 Likes

I have enough observations like that, not all hairs are stinging, and really if you donā€™t hold it with force you wonā€™t get hurt. I also hold Aconitum quite a lot this year if you look at photos, but actually I barely touched the plant (and washed hands later). Though that one time when I saw a new nettle species for the first time and didnā€™t recognise it before touching the leaf, ughā€¦ https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/88793034

4 Likes

No assumptionsā€¦ I am a heavy SLR user, and have been for fifty years. I know what I experience.

1 Like

Can I just say, now each time I see fingers (or toes) in photos, I think of this thread and smile. Thank you for that, @chrisc!

By the way, one of the most recent observations I saw was by a staff member ā€” so not only can you ignore (or politely correct) people who leave you ā€œNo fingerā€ comments, but hopefully you can chuckle about it, too:)

4 Likes

Google ā€œtranslate to Englishā€ is a godsend for me. And the conversations that alternate Russian and English are fun to look at!

2 Likes

I also find that seeing the growth pattern of a plant is helpful. So some pictures with fingers and some without, and some pictures of parts and some pictures of the whole is a good approach.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry that I was suggesting beauty rules. I am missing a finger tip, and most of my fingers have been re-shaped by injuries. I often have mahogany dust under my fingernails, because i clean up at the end of the day. I find myself trying to not get my broken and dirty fingernails in photos. I didnā€™t mean to offend anyone.

6 Likes

I always prefer natural photos, but sometimes hands are a product of a necessary ID photo, or the organism isnā€™t cooperatingā€¦so it can mean the difference between good data, and limited or no data. So the trade-off is a natural but necessary problem in my opinion.

4 Likes

I prefer natural, hand-free photos so I try to take them when possible and generally use that as the first/cover photo thatā€™s seen by anyone who is quickly looking through iNat.

However, I use a Pizel 4a (Android) camera which doesnā€™t have any manual focus option, so a ruler or hand photo is sometimes needed.

Regarding privacy, I cannot ID observers in my area by hands, but for a few I can ID them by their rulers.

8 Likes

Sometimes I pick up insects or other small invertebrates from the road so they donā€™t get squished and take photos of them while Iā€™m holding them, or for example when I need to stabilize a plant or show some specific feature. I donā€™t see anything wrong with human fingers in photos xD

4 Likes

Iā€™m okay with IDā€™ing observations with or without fingers; I donā€™t have a preference. For my own observations, I try to avoid having my finger in the frame for plant photos but sometimes on windy days itā€™s unavoidable. For arthropods, I actually enjoy letting them land or crawl on me, so I like when my fingers get to be in the photos. If they let you handle them, thatā€™s also a great opportunity to get a clear photo of their facial features, which is something I love so much that I recently created an entire project dedicated to it!

5 Likes

I just recently got an ID of a beetle because I had my finger in the uncropped photo. I was told that it was one of two species depending on the size, so I went back to the uncropped photo, measured a section of the finger shown (thankfully both finger and beetle were roughly in the plane of the image) and was able to estimate the size of the beetle well enough to clinch the ID :). Not deliberate, I was just holding the stem of the plant still to get a better photo!

9 Likes

Urtica urens (Dwarf nettle) isnā€™t too terrible. The leaves have short trichomes (needle-like hairs) and pinching them tends to break the hairs. This doesnā€™t work as well for the main stem, those trichomes can be 3-4x bigger and definitely get through. Not sure if itā€™s worth the injury, but I enjoy the fresh leaves, they have a very cucumber-rind-like flavor.

Edit: Hereā€™s my hand observation of Urtica dioica (European Stinging Nettle), Dwarf Nettleā€™s larger cousin.

1 Like

Wutt? Beetle fits on finger, me puts beetle on finger

Otherwise me puts in hand

Me simple :speak_no_evil:

But now seriously - I do try to photograph them in their natural (micro)habitat firstā€¦ if possible.

16 Likes