Fingers in photos

BTW, an infection on human body is an observation in itself. An infected cut could be safely marked as Bacteria. Fungal infection accordingly :wink:

2 Likes

The Handymanā€™s Secret Weapon!

1 Like

I canā€™t find where I wrote it, but itā€™s here somewhere: I refuse to upload photos of my fingerprints anywhere, not just here. Some people agree, some said I was being overly paranoid. To a degree I agree that Iā€™m being paranoid based on current technology. I have no idea what tomorrowā€™s technology can and will do though so I continue to refrain from uploading photos with my fingerprints in them. Each to their own though I guess.

Related, I understand why fingers in photos can be good (for scale). But I usually seem to be able to judge scale pretty well without prompts like human fingers. Maybe Iā€™m deluding myself but I reckon I can. When in doubt Iā€™d prefer to see a ruler than a finger

4 Likes

I hadnā€™t thought about that, and while I agree, the risk is probably low. For me itā€™s a moot point - my camera wonā€™t let me focus close enough to get my hands!

1 Like

Your post reminds me of:

Maybe using biometrics for security isnā€™t such a great idea if they can be stolen easily? Much better to mistype a password 5 times and do a reset e-mail, I guess?

3 Likes

But to use a ruler Iā€™d have to remember to take it with me and to carry it in a way that I can conveniently pull it out for the photo. (I have a ruler in my backpack, for use in plant identification.) So youā€™re stuck looking at my fingers.

7 Likes

Yes but I like your fingers. I donā€™t like mine :)

4 Likes

In the old ā€œI would like an iNat Hatā€ thread, I proposed an iNat handkerchief and @pisum made a proposed design that incorporated a ā€˜scaleā€™ in the form of a checker pattern. I thought it was an awesome design.

11 Likes

What I meant was I donā€™t mind seeing photos of fingers/fingreprints in other peopleā€™s posts, but not my own fingerprints. Each person can make their own decision? I donā€™t find fingers a great sense of scale in general, but Iā€™m probably kidding myself

1 Like

Thatā€™s my solution - my phone is always with me; and so is a ruler

9 Likes

Iā€™ve thought about including my hand/finger in photos before, but so far Iā€™ve held back from it just out of nervousness of getting that close to something like a bee. :sweat_smile: Something Iā€™d like to start doing is bringing a ruler with me to use for scale. It seems useful to keep on hand when going outside just in case.

For now though, I like to include a photo that isnā€™t cropped/zoomed in to give a sense of scale when itā€™s possible. These observations of a fly and spider both have images like that included. Iā€™m not sure how useful that is for others, but itā€™s something that helps me a little.

2 Likes

Ruler might be good for one bee, not sure what to do about many bees though. Interestingly, there are people who beard bees.

2 Likes

Observation of Alkali Heliotrope (Heliotropium curassavicum) which includes a free ā€œrulerā€ courtesy Altria Group and one of their helpful customersā€¦

Nice one! I like the Heliotrope, but better be careful lest we start ā€˜teachingā€™ the AI to identify cigarette butts!

1 Like

Nicotiana tabacum

1 Like

Homo sapiens littering. The butt is chemical laced plastic. Donā€™t want that showing up on taxon pictures for the plant.

2 Likes

I was a bit iffy about whether butts are evidence of humans or not, as well. I think the Tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) flowers are pretty, especially some of the cultivated varieties. For example, searching cultivated shows a few chocolate-colored ones.

Maybe someone could grow their own and make a cigar/cigarillo? Iā€™d agree with it as being the plant if they had growing, flowering, drying, rolling, etc. pictured in the observation.

1 Like

That is the core flaw in bio-metrics, they cannot be reset.

However the powers that be (esp. those that sit in towers made of $) needs ways in which the common public are their captives forever - and what better than insidious bio-metric based monitoring.

As much as I know I really should avoid doing so, I love touching/picking up the things I am interacting with. I have several observations where I have my hand/finger in the shot because I picked up an insect or something. I donā€™t see anything particularly wrong with having them in the shot especially since, as you said, it might provide a sense of scale.

5 Likes

In my own photos, I happen to know (from repeated measures) that the distal joint in my left index fingerā€“often the closest to whatever Iā€™m holding in my left hand to be photographedā€“is precisely 20 mm wide. I use that and other dimensions of my own fingers/palm to calculate the size of various fauna and flora. IF it is relevant to the ID of the object involved, I will often make mention of that dimension in the description of the observation.

4 Likes