Follow-up on Mentorship Pilot Program [held 11-25-21 to 11-28-21]

It seems matching was tricky. I’m wondering if matching specific mentors and mentees is even necessary. Maybe alternatively there could be one identify URL for everyone who signed up to be followed and receive feedback, with a list of locations and groups of organisms they are interested in learning more about. Potential mentors/experts in those areas/groups could then use that link and the filters in Identify to refine the pool to match their personal expertise. Mentor-mentee relationships may develop naturally - e.g. if you notice someone who does a lot of IDs/observations in your area, or someone who follows up on a lot of your stuff, you could contact each other for more detailed discussions.

The other thing that came up was more general questions how to use the app and the features in Identify, or even just the settings on the website, to make this more efficient etc. This could be addressed with some more general tutorials, or maybe having a group event (chat, zoom, whatever) to answer more general questions that might be of interest for all.

I think having a stream or some video demos how folks approach identifying stuff would also be useful as well and maybe a good place to start. When I teach students a new skill, often I will demonstrate first, then let them try it under supervision, and once they’ve got a handle on it I let them do it by themselves but will be available for questions/assistance if necessary. That seems to work well. I think what was missing in this mentorship pilot was the first step - the demo.

3 Likes