Following local restrictions/ safely iNatting during COVID 19

So at least 20 black-eyed susan flowers?

7 Likes

I saw that too! My thoughts are, Montanan birders (which I was originally) is going to think that six feet is close.

3 Likes

From an email from a whale watching boat in Cape Cod Mass.

4 Likes

I dunno… They have a group “bubble”, and it’s the humans that are doing it wrong by “breaking” that bubble. And don’t get me started on the inference of human to whale transmission…

3 Likes

For Canadians, remember it is 1 hockey stick.

8 Likes

I wonder if I can buy a hockey stick as an “essential goods”…

3 Likes

Real Canadians make their own.

6 Likes

and set their own fractures!

We had a cricket player back in my youth, who made his own cricket bat… weighted differently to the standard bats… it complied with all rules though, and he called it his “excalibur”… I think every kid I knew who picked up a stick would swing it and call it his excalibur…

1 Like

It could be used to help enforce social distancing ;)

2 Likes

“Enscribing a circle” around your person to show those too close to you that they are just that… the thought had crossed my mind!

The downside of course is that it’s likely to encourage more intrusion to your bubble than it would prevent…

Real Canadians make our own hockey pucks too. You don’t want to know from what.

5 Likes

I live in the countryside, so I usually go for walks on the side of the roads or on our property (have a decent size area). I think where I live, hiking still counts as essential so on the weekends my family still goes out on hikes (I do my best to obey the social distancing orders - though sometimes it’s hard especially if it’s at a narrow point in the trail).

1 Like

In PA, we’re allowed out for exercise. I’ve been walking in my mom’s garden, the neighbors’ field (they don’t mind), and the small hill behind the house. It’s rural here, so there are parks, game lands, and old fields, but the state has been closing parks because they have been inundated by visitors. My farthest trip away so far has been on foot to a small cemetery–absolutely empty–where I found some trout lilies to my delight. The weather here is still cold, and we had snow overnight (about 3 inches), which is uncommon but not unheard of in nothern PA, so there’s not much to see yet. But, I eagerly await warmer weather where I might check out some less traveled places, including an old graveyard on top of a mountain (abandoned mining town), and I know the garden will offer some wonderful iNatting surprises.Maybe I’ll devise a more elaborate mothing setup this year since that’s easy to do around home. I spoke via Zoom to a friend in Paris and now count myself very lucky to be out at all. She said that they need passes to leave their buildings and then only for essentials and for an hour. Police patrol the streets and check on passes. Paris is quiet with relatively empty streets and parks.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

It’s impossible to stay at home all day while others don’t care it’s illegal to be outside, but many go jogging or walk around with kids, not caring at all. That shouldn’t be so, they have no real need it doing so, not talking about real cases already found in the town. This year I waited and was preparing for the first CNC for last 4 months, now it’s impossible to participate as I need a transport to get to the city. No own property, so no legal excuse to be outside. All I had for the month are flies on cars while I was throwing away garbage. No real need in social distancing as you see no people and no life other than what you can see from high above from your window. That’s unfair and, speaking about the whole situation, the law that was created is in fact illegal, but who cares, if you can get tons of money from those who break it.

1 Like

In Texas, we are allowed to go to parks as long as we practice social distancing. The local state parks have been busy, so I’ve been going to the WMA’s (Wildlife Management Areas) because I never see anyone in them unless it’s hunting season.

1 Like

The Texas State Parks were closed April 7th. They just reopened on April 20th, but only for day use.

Lucky you. Here all national and provincial parks are fully closed with no legal access of any kind. All conservation areas, reserves etc are closed. Many municipalities have effectively closed all public land including all trails with criminal charges and significant fines if caught. Some municipal parks are open, but only if you can walk to them as all parking lots and street parking are closed or banned. No timelines to end, most have already been extended through June. And we are not as strictly locked down as other places around the world.

1 Like

I’m not sure how lucky it is yet.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting our restrictions are a bad thing. While still horrfiyingly high, we have one of the lowest infection rates in the western world. And not really any of the ‘open it up’ protests seen in other places. Just eventually, the seams are going to start to leak or burst here too, especially as we come out of winter.

2 Likes