Following local restrictions/ safely iNatting during COVID 19

If you’re a Netflix user and can’t leave your house and have run out of things to safely iNat, consider watching (with the caveat that they get things wrong and oversimplify): Absurd Planet. A silly yet mildly informative parody of the the other David Attenborough-narrated “Planet” series. If you can contain the frustration and impulse to shout out corrections to misinformation I’d suggest a little nature levity. Anyone who’d like to collaborate on an even funnier and more scientifically accurate series, message me :) If you find my sense of humor annoying…this may not be for you.

It says it’s suited for families but honestly, unless you’re up for explaining stuff to children I’d only watch with young teenagers or really young kids that won’t ask as many questions because they won’t pick up on the adult references as much. If you’re into explaining why there’s a censor bar over primate genitalia then cool, watch it with your 9 year old.

@cmcheatle how’s the progress on this year’s puck coming? ;)

Cant get out to a place with horses. Road Apples is/are not just one of the greatest albums ever (likely only Canadians get that reference) but an important natural resource.

2 Likes

We’re also in NE PA about half of our time, and I count myself lucky to be able to move around relatively freely as we are rural and rarely see anyone out and about. I’ve been exploring the woods behind our house. I’ve documented all kinds of “weeds” but have become more fascinated in all of the things that surround me! We recently went by Lackawanna State park and the main parking area was full of cars. We parked on a back road and saw only one other person on the back trail we took.

Our “regular” home (we are transitioning into our retirement) is in a much more populated area and I am very careful when I do go out. I have lived in that area my entire life and recently went into a nearby wooded area to explore. I’ve never seen anyone going in there, there is no real trail, just followed a deer track, and was delighted at all of the things I found.

Now my problem is that my own rule is that I can only have one observation for a species in any given place, So when/if I go back to the those woods I can’t count anything I’ve already seen

2 Likes

Happy birthday and many more! Glad you were able to spend it outside.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.