Freshwater macroinvertebrate field guide recommendations

I’m curious what people recommend for identifying freshwater macroinvertebrates in the field. I want to be at least as specific as order, but I am specifically looking for a field guide, not a desk reference. In other words, I’m looking for something that allows for the best identification with a magnifying glass or the naked eye, and not something you need a microscope to use. Also not looking for something that you have to have internet or a tablet to use. I have seen Peckarsky et al. 1990 cited quite a bit, but I want to be sure that I am using the guide with the most updated nomenclature. Is Peckarsky still the golden standard? Any other suggestions out there? (Specifically looking for coverage of the Mid-Atlantic region at the moment.) Thank you!

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance but what is the Mid-Atlantic region? The obvious answer would lack freshwater invertebrates.

The Mid Atlantic is a region of the United States including DE, PA, MD, NJ, VA, WV, and NY. Learning geographic regions of the US used to be standard in grade school, but maybe I’m aging myself now! Haha

I’m assuming that a guide for either the northeast or southeast could work too, if people have specific recommendations:)

If one is not from the United States (many of us aren’t), this is not likely to be part of one’s school curriculum and “mid-Atlantic” would seem to suggest a region in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

3 Likes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_(United_States)

Well, I’m sure that the Azores and Madeiras have freshwater invertebrates, too…

1 Like

My response regarding field guides here is the same for your region. Peckarsky is not a field guide either

2 Likes